Saturday, June 15, 2019

Norman Rockwell on LIFE

In 2007 I visited the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, Massachusetts, his home town. It was a treat to see the original illustrations that he lovingly created for LIFE magazine for the years 1916 through 1942. There are those who will argue that Norman Rockwell paintings are not “great art” but I contend that his popularity is well deserved. He was a painter for, and of, the commonplace. He loved the ordinary people and he was very concerned with the big issues such as racism, poverty and social injustice and he put his paint brush where his interests lay. Here are a few of my favorites:


Sadly the Norman Rockwell lifestyle may be gone, if it ever really existed, (??), but his paintings will be with us forever.



5 Comments:

Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I love Rockwell's art and the messages he sent with them. Those who criticize it as "not art" are pretty much arrogant snobs. They will suggest that if you don't understand the colored dots on canvas, or splashes all over the canvas then you don't understand art at all. And they are eager to explain it to you. Art should speak to me directly and not require an interpreter.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

My in-laws loved Rockwell’s work and had several prints. I loved the plumbers with the perfume bottle.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Hello Ginnie. I hope you are having a good day. Rockwell's work is distinctive and very appealing.

4:21 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I LOVE Norman Rockwell's work. His was a picture of Americana that was and should still be. He always took us back to a better time, often with a touch of humor. Miss him and that way of life.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We have also been to that museum, Ginnie, and I agree with your comments on this post. Rockwell’s paintings always showed a slice of Americana that has not been duplicated or equaled since.

4:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home