Monday, June 10, 2019

My “OVER THE MANTEL” Mural


This is a repeat from 2009 and some long time bloggers will remember Phillip who I quote here. He is no longer with us but I wanted to keep his words.


I wish I could say that this painting is an original by me but it’s actually a copy of one that I saw in an old magazine. I loved the colors, the subject and the design so I decided to use it in my living room.

The magazine didn’t give credit to the artist so I couldn’t ask for permission to reproduce it. I’m hoping that since I am not using it commercially that it will be OK. Also, I couldn’t photograph the picture straight on since I kept getting glare spots when I did.

What I thought might be of interest to some of you was how I transposed it to my wall. I actually used the old grid trick. I folded the original picture until it formed 24 small squares. Then it was easy to enlarge it to scale and then fill in the individual squares.

After I painted the picture directly on the wall I used a decorative molding to frame it and I was done.

As my blogger friend Phillip wrote to me: “It is interesting to paint on walls and furniture. The Canadian primitive artist, Maude Lewis painted all the surfaces of her shack she lived in. It has been preserved as a work of art.”

I had never heard of Maude Lewis and was fascinated by her story. I know that my “little shack” will never be preserved as a work of art but it’s lots of fun and it keeps me out of trouble !!


6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Very clever AND talented

5:20 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

The film Maudie about Maude Lewis is worth a look, Ginnie.

I love your piece. I would not have attempted what you did.

6:08 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I didn't see this before - but I am glad I have seen it now. Lovely job!!

6:31 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Wow, I am impressed. Too bad it is painted directly on the wall. Though you certainly don't have to worry about it being stolen, it would be hard to give to someone else.

6:41 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Too bad you didn't use the same process and paint on canvas. But if you painted it purely for your own pleasure, then it's in the right place. You are quite talented.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That was quite a unique way to preserve and enjoy a painting that you enjoyed, and now you can enjoy every day. I wondered how difficult it was to paint directly on the wall. The molding was a great frame.

4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home