Saturday, June 02, 2018

A melodic memory ... San Gimignano, Italy


In 2008 my oldest son and I were in Italy and one highlight of our trip was a visit to the lovely towered city of San Gimignano. It was my second visit there and, as we hiked our way to the top of the city I hoped against hope that the same musician who I'd photographed 5 years before would be there still. Of course this didn’t happen, but my imagination brought him back to life and I described it all to my son.

It was March of 2003 and as I wended my way to the highest point of San Gimignano I started to hear music. This seemed unlikely in the setting but it became louder and, as I crested the hill, I finally saw the musician.
He resembled a monk but was more likely a performer who hoped to augment his income by an afternoon’s performance. He had somehow managed to tote his harpsichord over the cobblestone paths to this lofty spot.

Now, five years later my son and I sat in the same spot where I'd heard that concert. We were the only people there but the memory of the intriguing musician and his medley of Baroque tunes seemed to enhance the magnificent views and the total serenity of it all. As it had then, this became a highlight of our Italian journey.


7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I can sort of picture how wonderful that must have been.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

It sounds like a glimpse of heaven Ginnie.

6:13 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

A wonderful experience!! Too bad you didn't encounter him the second time!

7:24 PM  
Blogger possum said...

What a great memory, Ginnie!
Isn't it wonderful that life tosses these little diamonds out to us every once in a while?

5:00 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Even though you didn't encounter that musician on your second visit, Ginnie, it still sounded like a sweet memory just returning.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Linda P. said...

Such lovely memories.
Linda Piazza

8:11 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Ah the joys of beautiful music in a lovely setting...:)

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home