Monday, May 28, 2018

The movie “Chappaquiddick” brings back a vivid memory

I really didn't want to see “Chappaquiddick”. I grew up in Massachusetts and the Kennedy family and the tragedies that plagued them were a large part of my life. However I'm so glad I changed my mind. I thought the movie was very realistic and the producers rendered no judgements. They left that to the viewer.

Jason Clarke was very believable as Senator Kennedy but it was the magnificent portrayal by Bruce Dern of the 80 year old stroke victim Joe Kennedy that really took me back.

The year was 1943 and my father was working in the advertising agency in Boston that was handling the promotion material for young JFK's bid to become a Senator. His father Joe was footing the bill and proved to be a very demanding and unreasonable client. He had been the Ambassador to Britain in 1938 and despite leaving that post under a cloud he was still a powerful and very wealthy man who was ruthless in promoting his sons.

The day after JFK was elected as Senator my father came home with a long, slim box wrapped in gold paper and he threw it on the table. “This”, he said, “is what we get for spending hours listening to that bastard Joe Kennedy” and he opened the box to reveal a silk tie with a hand painted Kennedy crest on it.   My dad  was the last person in the world to be seen wearing a silk tie so I wasn’t surprised by his anger …but I can’t help wondering what that tie would be worth today !!

7 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Great memory Ginnie! I must see that movie!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Even though your dad had a right to be peeved, I find some humour in the story and your touch at the end.

4:14 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

A fortune on eBay.

8:18 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

I read several biographies. Not a very likable man to say the least....

10:43 AM  
Blogger possum said...

How well I remember Chappaquiddick! One of the events that soured my faith in - well - in so many things, in so many people.
It is not something I will ever forget either - Mary Jo is buried right across from my grandparents.
I guess it is a dumb thing to say and do, but I always pat her tombstone and whisper "I am so sorry," to her every time I visit the cemetery.
She reminds me of how stupid so many of us have been when in the company of "greatness" - men of power who don't take NO for an answer.
Not accusing Ted of anything- just saying that is what she reminds me of........

9:56 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I don't blame your father for his feelings, Ginnie. Joe Kennedy wasn't a very pleasant man from accounts I've read.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Joared said...

Read through a few of your most recent older posts to catch up as I've not been blogging for a bit. Interesting content, as usual. Had wondered if this movie re Kennedy was worth seeing so appreciate your perspective. Not surprised at the type individual you described the father as being.

3:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home