Saturday, September 17, 2016

My “I Hate to Exercise” Exercises

I've posted this before but it was 6 years ago and, since I have achieved such good results from this easy exercise regimen I thought you might want to read about it again. These are the warm up exercises for Tai Chi and I do them faithfully every morning. I have checked with Doctors and Physical Therapy people and they all agree that these exercises are perfect for elders and even those convalescing from injuries or sickness.

These are 18 exercises that are designed to relax and tone all the major joints in the body. It takes me about 12 minutes each morning, and, although they are deceptively simple, these basic exercises have proved to be remarkably beneficial. I found them (complete with illustrations) in a Simon & Schuster book called “Step by Step Tai Chi” by Master Lam Kam Chuen. You may even want to go on and do the whole program but the warm ups do it for me … and I love the colorful descriptions of the different exercises such as “paint the wall”, “circle the moon“, “play the accordion”, etc.

It is now over 15 years that I have been doing this and I can’t imagine starting my day without it. I have severe scoliosis and, although the curvature gets worse each year, I am able to keep it in check with this regimen. On the few occasions that I do miss I can tell it by early afternoon. My back starts to ache and I don’t have my usual energy level...and all of this just because I didn’t devote a few minutes of my precious time to doing what’s good for me!
GOOD LUCK and believe me, if I can do it you can too

9 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

I have mild scoliosis and a gentle yoga routine really helps me. Exercise doesn't have to be strenuous to help!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have to admire your tenacity. I can't seem to manage. Lots of stop, starts and gaps.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I will check it out. I have back problems also and who doesn't have 12 minutes to spare. Thanks.

2:45 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Every time I read about these exercises, I think--I should do these.
But then, I slack off.
BUT I do walk--about 8,000 every day.
So, that will have to be it for me!

6:03 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Ah, you have such discipline - and it sure pays off! Good for you!
I have saved some tai chi gentle exercises on the computer... I seldom do them. shame on me.
but, the cats have me doing quite a few exercises, bending, feeding, cleaning up - LOL! They are my personal trainers!

We had over 5 inches of rain in the past 16 hours! Yea! I don't have to get my dragging the hoses around exercises today!!!!! (We NEEDED the rain.)

4:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Ginnie.

8:25 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

My problem with stay in place exercising is boredom. ok ok. maybe it's lack of self-discipline. Or attention deficit. If I can't be out and about because of rain, snow, tornadoes, etc. it's off to the LZ Boy and a good book...:)

5:07 PM  
Blogger joared said...

I should get a regular exercise regimen as just do hit & miss, or not at all.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

My exercise these days consists of walking everywhere whenever I have to go someplace in downtown Nashua. However, I know that the exercises you described and others would also be beneficial. I visited a chiropractor this week to diagnose an occasional back pain so next week he may prescribe an exercise regime as well.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home