Saturday, August 13, 2016

Another amazing CONNECTION …


I've been writing this blog since 2006 and one of the first things that I wrote about was the wonderful experience that I and my family had in the late 40's entertaining British sailors. It was World War II and I was just 9 but I remember it vividly.

So you can imagine my surprise when I received the following comment on a blog entry that I had posted 10 years ago. It simply said “Was your mum Ruth Lee?” The answer is yes and I contacted the writer immediately hoping for more information

It turns out that the person who commented was none other than the son of one of the British sailors who practically lived with us during those frightful years. Ron, his dad, was stationed at the Fargo Naval Base and, after his initial visit, any time he and a buddy had free time they would hop the train from Boston to Wellesley Hills. If I remember correctly we even kept a spare room set up for their impromptu visits !

Ron's son Nick actually remembers my mother visiting their home in England many years after the War ended. He thinks he may even have a picture of her taken in the garden of their home. He is looking for that but in the meantime he sent me this one of his Dad.


I knew Ron immediately and it brought back all the times that we girls (I was the youngest of 5 !) would rush to the train station if we knew “our boys” would be coming to visit. Ron was always number one off the train and the first thing that we would see was his huge grin !

Thanks so much for making the connection Nick. Those were special years and your Dad was such a large part of it.


ADDENDUM;  8/18  Just got another email from Nick with this great picture of a friend of his dad's ...he said he's the one that brought Ron to our house for the first time !





7 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

How special! Amazing how the years fall away when connections exist between people. Great post!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That is, indeed, amazing.

5:53 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Isn't the blog world wonderful? Loved the post.

9:31 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Oh, it really is a small world in the best sense. The more we humans connect, in kindly ways, the more friendly the world is, and thus the better.

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I recall (as a young child) it was quite common for similar relationships to develop on this side of 'the pond' during WW2. London was full of servicemen from all over the world. I even remember a girl who lived in our street marrying a German POW at the end of hostilities.

6:26 AM  
Blogger possum said...

How great is that?
I know how meaningful it was to those boys to have your home to 'come home' to.
And then this connection! Amazing!

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A wonderful moment when fate intervenes. Of all the blogs in the world....wonderful. I hope he Ines the photo.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home