Monday, September 12, 2016

Painting a mural … just for fun !



A friend of mine is a retired art teacher and a very loyal once-a-week letter writer. She is known for the amazing flower and vegetable gardens that surround her home and today's letter proves to me that she is still in teacher mode !

Part of her letter concentrated on “what having to plant and tend a garden teaches you.” She goes on to say “For one thing, it teaches that YOU are not in charge. Nature sets the rules.” and “If you don’t have self-discipline, you won’t have a decent garden,” she says. 

I really felt bad as I read these words. I like to have beauty around me but I have NEVER had the discipline to plant and keep a garden going. But, wait a minute. I DO bring beauty into my life but it's with a paint brush instead of a spade. I can't even take credit for the content of the mural that I picture here. It's a copy of a Kandinsky that I've always loved … but so what if it's a copy. I had a great and undisciplined time painting it !!









7 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Painting a garden is a great idea. Less physical work though you can't eat the product. Your artistry is beautiful however.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Paint on, I say.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Art does take discipline and at least you aren't a slave to nature who plays with the gardening sorts. Very well done. I can garden, I sure can't paint and envy you artist types.

11:10 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

I like it too.
And for me farmers markets were a good replacement for have to pull all those weeds in the veggie garden...:)

3:36 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

There are many ways to create.
Plus, I am not convinced that English gardens, which I love, succeed because someone has self-discipline. Sometimes a bit of disorder creates its own beauty.

And thanks for saying it would be great to hold a discussion with me as group leader. Yes, that is what I did while teaching. And, not surprisingly, I loved it!

7:12 PM  
Blogger possum said...

I love every time you show your art work, Ginnie. Yes, I was/am a teacher, but I am an art teacher, so I love to see your creations - and even when they are copies. We had to pick a piece of famous art to copy... most art schools do this - a lot can be learned in copying a masterpiece.
A note to KGMom, if disorder has its own beauty then I have the world's most beautiful disorganized yard ever!!!!! And to me, that is part of its beauty. You never know what is going to be around the next corner.

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have gardened all my life. Mom got me out in the garden as a toddler. I would love to take up painting. I love your copy. Copies are often better than some of the originals these days.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home