Saturday, April 09, 2016

CENTRAL PARK, NEW YORK … 1958

... Continuing my NY memories...
Dick and I were married in Manhattan, NY on August 23rd, 1958. This picture was taken shortly thereafter in Central Park. We didn’t have the time nor money for a Honeymoon but the city of New York was our playground.  We loved Central Park. We would sit for hours overlooking the lake, reading, talking about the future and just plain people-watching. If we waited long enough the entire world would pass before us.

Planned concerts were staged weekly and we would enjoy big name bands and personalities for free ! I remember seeing Peter, Paul & Mary, The Mills Brothers and Johnny Mathis, to name just a few. And then there were all the musicians who just practiced for fun. We would often join in when they teamed up for an impromptu songfest.


The Children's Zoo was one of our favorite spots at Central Park and we would meet there often after our work was over for the day.  Watching the children at the Zoo was almost as much fun as watching the animals !

8 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

It sounds idyllic. What wonderful memories you have! Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

5:07 PM  
Blogger joared said...

Sounds like delightful recollections and any photos probably trigger so many more.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It sounds idyllic. You probably enjoyed life more than people who could afford jet set vacations.

5:54 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I love New York. I've been there many times for various reasons and loved it more each time. The last time I was there was many years ago but I did attend a free Dave Matthews concert in Central Park. What an extra treat.

7:12 AM  
Blogger possum said...

I guess I could survive being a city person if I had Central Park near by...
I am glad if you enjoyed it - but you seem to make the most out of everything!

8:17 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Who would need a better destination honeymoon than Central Park? Lucky you.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful memories. I love New York although I haven't been there in a few years. David and I enjoyed many leisure trips together. One he made with me (on a business trip) I try to forget. Although I had an expense account and wanted to take a taxi, he insisted we should take busses from the airport. Three busses and a long walk to our hotel in the rain pulling suitcases behind us and I was almost ready to kill him.

We had many more pleasant trips together, one with my oldest granddaughters for my 50th birthday. Amelia was more fascinated with the subway system than anything else.
BTW, I worked for Bell ot the Feds in those days and one of my colleagues had an office with a window overlooking the park. Lovely, thanks for the memories.

Beautiful photo of you and your husband. So bright and looking forward to what would come. Love it.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

There is nothing like people watching and free concerts and we have availed ourselves of both as you and Dick did. And, there is nothing like having had NY for yiur playground when it was a but safer so many years ago.

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home