Friday, February 19, 2016

Happy Valentine's day in the ER...1979


In 1979 I was working in the emergency department of our local hospital. That's me on the right with one of the nurses and Dr. Jacques, the Director of the ER. I think this was some sort of promotion photo.

I was reminded of my time there this week as I viewed the creative, home-made Valentine's card that one of my blogger friends, AC, had made for his wife. It took me back to the day that I worked in the ER while my husband was a patient upstairs in the hospital. He was a very brittle diabetic and it was not unusual for him to run into trouble and get admitted but this was Valentine's day.

Luckily we were not busy and I decided to craft a Valentine's card from stuff in the ER. I was sitting next to Dr. Jacques but I didn't know that he was watching me. When I looked up I noticed him and his quizzical expression so I proudly held up the card which I had created. He shook his head and said “Wow. That is so ...” and I was sure he was going to say “...creative and loving.” Instead he said “Wow. That is so cheap. Why not buy the poor guy a card?”

I was crushed but the ER is a strange place to say the least and I, Virginia Lee Dean, should have known that. After all they were the ones who insisted I use my middle initial whenever I labeled something as my own. I guess “VD” on a Styrofoam coffee cup would cause confusion in any ER !

9 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

LOL. You always make me smile. Oh the shift work! Our daughter is a nurse as well. Dedication and a sense of humour are so necessary!

Have a great weekend.

3:46 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

So funny. I learned a lot during my student nurse days in the ER but I never wanted to work there after graduation.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Funny punchline.
We have just started watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix. Never watched it on regular tv. So your remark about surgeons seems apt.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I am leaning towards your being creative and thoughtful.
So funny about your initials. At least if you just used VD to mark your lunch, no one would steal your stuff out of the fridge.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

After reading the post, Ginnie, I was wondering if you gave your husband your original ER made card or went and vought one.

5:02 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Well I think it is sweet to get a handmade card. It takes a lot more thought and serious commitment to do that vs grabbing a card off the shelf.
Your doc sounds like one we have here - but then, he is autistic... very much like Doc Martin. They can't help it.
Fun post!

5:16 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Well I like homemade better most anything. It shows you really care....:)

6:39 AM  
Blogger joared said...

I vote for homemade as superior, but some people, not only certain doctors, are more materialistic. I've worked in hospitals and occasionally was called in to the E.R. I'd sure avoid any cup I saw with VD on it anywhere in a hospital! Really funny as I never thought about such before.

3:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its the thought that counts, or so they say. I like homemeade things, or in this case an ER made item. Did you sign the card with your initials?

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home