Tuesday, December 09, 2014

1940 ... The wild animal attack !


 
This two generation picture was taken in West Brattleboro, Vt. in 1940. My Mother and Dad were enjoying a rare moment alone with my maternal grandparents. Our family, by this time, consisted of 5 little girls (I was the youngest) and it was rare for us to be separated from Mother & Dad. We were living in Plainfield, NJ at that time but we were able to get to Vermont on a few special occasions. This was quite an ordeal because we didn’t own a car and had to make the journey by train.

My grandparents home was not large and usually my parents would stay there and we five would be parceled out to friends and relatives. We were with our cousins when this picture was taken. They lived nearby in a large farm-type colonial located in the center of West Brattleboro. I remember that big white house and, in particular, the bedroom where the attack took place.

I had been assigned to the lower bunk of a two-tier bed and it was here that I woke to a horrible scenario. A wild animal was clawing at me and my screams just made the unknown attacker more frenzied. I was flailing my arms and trying to protect my head when my cousin finally turned on the light. She was shaking me and trying to figure out why I was screaming. As I started to calm down I noticed a large cat sitting on the foot of my bed. He seemed to have a sly, “gotcha”, smirk on his feline face and I realized that this was my “wild animal”.

Of course my cousin explained it all. The "innocent" cat sleeping with her and then jumping down from the top bunk and landing squarely on me, scaring me out of my wits. Did I buy that? Not on your life...that cat was out to get me and his big Cheshire smile proved it!



6 Comments:

Blogger possum said...

Poor Ginnie!
Did you ever forgive that naughty cat? Do you still feel uncomfortable around BIG cats?
A Boston Terror (not misspelled) attacked me when I was little, pulling my shoelace and making me fall. I have never forgiven any Boston Terrorist, I mean Terrier ! EVER!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Sorry you were terrorized by a sinister cat butI bet that tale is told at most family gatherings when a laugh is needed.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's funny what sticks in our memories. I wonder how long I will remember finding a spider in my toothbrush, under the cap over it, last night?

6:49 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

That would definitely terrorize me. But what a great story to tell the next generations.

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frightening to wake up like that. Can't blame you for being afraid.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

LOL--I have that happen when Esther, aka Evil Seed, decides to jump on me in the middle of the night. I know who it is but still she is a very hefty Siamese.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home