Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My heart is heavy …


I grew up in Massachusetts and each year we looked forward to Patriot’s Day in April. It is a commemoration of the anniversary of Paul Revere’s famous ride … 26 miles from Hopkinton to Boston's historic Back Bay … and it ran directly through our town of Wellesley Hills on Rte. 9, barely a block from where I lived.

We would line up on the main street of the town and cheer on the runners. It was a time of jubilation and so much of it was because the runners were an eclectic group of people from all over the world and many of them were overcoming handicaps.

I was 14 in 1947 and I remember that year in particular because Clarence DeMar (1888-1958) was still alive and running. He was the legendary figure who won 7 Boston Marathons, (1911, '22, '23, '24, '27, '28 & 1930) and he was still running strong at the age of 59.

When I heard the news of the bombings yesterday I was stunned. My heart is so heavy. Not only do I mourn the victims, as we all do; but, I mourn the loss of those “innocent” days of my childhood. They have been tarnished forever by this senseless deed.

11 Comments:

Blogger ellen said...

Oh, Dearest Ginnie,
Yes to all that you have written. My heart goes out to all in Boston, to our country and to you.
I am weary of asking "Why?" I don't understand any of this and I know that many others do not either.
It sickens me, as it sickens all of us.
Sending love your way,
E.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

A sad day indeed. I hope it doesn't change America like 911.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

This has hit us all so hard but you had a personal connection to the race itself. I heard they have a suspect so perhaps we will learn the Why.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Vagabonde said...

It breaks our heart to watch this senseless violence – such beautiful and innocent people having a good time. I can understand your pain because of your history with the event.

3:22 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Terrible indeed. And Newport. Today Senators voting down a small step.. For shame :(

4:56 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

I can only imagine how painful this news is for you--since you know the area and the Commonwealth well.
Our country is beseiged by violent people intent on hurting other people.
All we can do is be more kind, more thoughtful, more caring--as the only antidote against violence.

12:06 PM  
Blogger possum said...

My heart, too, is broken, once again. And the news this morning shows how quickly we can be put under military/police control. Boston is under lock-down. And I have no doubt a Muslim will be blamed and killed before he can be questioned.

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too sad Ginnie.

Some of my ancestors took part in the Revolution when Massachusetts was a British colony, so I appreciate Patriot's Day very much.

Although we don't have relatives there anymore,except in old cemeteries, we think about MA.

Today...news indicates the bombers were young men familiar with the MIT campus. Foolish young men.
Dianne

7:25 AM  
Blogger joared said...

Such a tragedy! The two individuals accused of setting off the destruction are off the streets now. Treasure your memories of a kinder gentler time.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for sharing your personal connection, Ginnie. It seems that a tragedy hits home harder when we have been there and have happier memories. Hopefully, yours will not be forgotten, just saddened.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

It was a terrible thing. And for a 19 year old who seemed to be just a college kid.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home