Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The 99% pay the real cost of OVERHEAD …


“OVERHEAD is an accounting term that refers to all costs not including or related to direct labor, materials, or administration costs.” (definition by Investopedia)

Well I can understand that and it really doesn’t bother me when it concerns things like the grossly over the top atrium at the Trump Tower in NY City, (pictured here). The people that visit there know that everything will cost a fortune and evidently they don’t mind paying it. I doubt if many are part of the 99%.

What DOES bother me is when it comes to the medical profession. As most of you know I had a hip replacement recently. I went directly from the ER to the operating room and then to a week’s rehab so it was about three weeks before I saw my orthopedic surgeon at his office. When I entered the newly built, state of the art, surgical clinic I was astounded. The entry alone was as large as a ballroom and the vaulted ceilings rose above a 2nd floor of Staff offices. Soft music played and the whole thing made me think that someone was trying to replicate the Taj Mahal in miniature.

I stood there with my mouth agape and I’m sure that the employees thought I was in awe of such splendor. Actually I was coming to grips with the fact that I was helping to pay for this monstrosity.

Why do we need these ornate trappings in our medical offices? Isn’t a sterile environment and a knowledgeable doctor enough for us? Why do we always have to be the biggest and the gaudiest … even, or especially, when it involves healthcare?

Correct me if I’m wrong but I can’t help but think that the major cost of all this splendor (including the astronomical salaries that the Doctors seem to feel is their due) is being put directly on the shoulders of the 99%. No wonder we can't get ahead!

6 Comments:

Blogger possum said...

Can you hear me clapping?
A standing ovation for that post.
One Nation under Greed.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Good thoughts, Ginny. I don't know whether it affects his billing. He might charge the same fees wher3ever ho chose to have his office. Or maybe not. I dunno. Like you, however, I have to ask myself when enough is enough.

6:00 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Overhead is generally the cost of the building and the electricity, water, and cleaning for the building.

I have never minded our state-of-the-art hospital with its green spaces and clean enviroment. I was depressed with the old building the county owned.

Our new local hospital is owned by a chain that pays big taxes and fees to the county. I think taxes are also part of "overhead."

Dianne

9:50 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Amen and well-said!

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Big John said...

If ever you are in London, Ginnie, visit Harley Street, home of our top medics. It has some of the most expensive properties in the world.

5:39 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

It seems that we are a nation of excess. Everything has to be bigger and gaudier here. I just hope that the doctors are good.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home