Wednesday, November 09, 2011

My Recovery CONUNDRUM …


Well, it’s been 5 weeks since I fractured my femur and my recovery is going splendidly. My surgeon says it will take 6 to 12 weeks for the bone to heal completely but I am walking with the aid of a cane and seem to be regaining strength every day and I have little or almost no pain in the leg. This is encouraging.

HOWEVER … here’s the conundrum. I have a chronic condition called Scoliosis … or curvature of the spine. I have had it forever but only in the last 10 years have I found it bothersome. My answer to keeping the pain at bay has been my daily regimen of 18 warm-up Tai Chi exercises that encompass the neck area clear down to my toes. If I do that faithfully I get through the day with little or no pain.

But, here’s the rub … according to my PT folks and my Dr. I need to do specific exercises from the waist down while I’m healing and they all rule out any type of rotation motion, even including crossing my legs. This is counter to the Tai Chi exercises … the ones that keep my back pain at bay!

So I’m kind of between a rock and a hard spot although I do have two things that ease the pain a bit … one is using a back support belt and the other is applying heat to the area.

Sooooo … if any of you have gone through similar circumstances I‘d love your input.

(and that’s the end of my whining for today !!)

10 Comments:

Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

That is not whining and you do have a problem.
Wish I had an answer for you but don't.
Think I will check into the Tia Chi exercises though. Might help my back arthritis.
So glad you are doing better though and that the pain is almost gone. Keep up good work.

4:11 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, not to add more confusion to this issue, but have you thought of consulting a chiropractor? Grenville is currently seeing one for back pain and has also found that returning to the local YMCA on a regular basis is helpful for him.

5:02 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

I don't know Ginnie. Couldn't the PT people suggest anything? I do know that I started to have problems with my feet since the knee surgery but upon experimentation, I found that I was walking on them wrong. I've had to consciously make myself walk differently. All I guess I'm suggesting is that maybe you could experiment a bit. Maybe there is some different movement that may help temporarily.Good Luck.
Love Di ♥

6:41 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Between a rock and a hard place? Out of the frying pan into the fire? I wonder if I could think of more cliches? Probably not. I do wish you a solution, however.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

I have awful back pain from arthritis. I would love to see the exercises if you have a book you can recommend. Dianne

11:03 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Asone who suffers from chronic back problems, I feel your pain. I have lived with one leg shorter than the other that causes a stress fracture in my spine. I used to wear orthopedic shoes. If I am careful with lifting I can avoid the stess fracture recurring. If I get pain I have to rest until it heals once again.

I have no suggestions for you. Massage might help if you know anyone willing to give you a daily massage.

12:46 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I'm not sure exactly what your surgery included, but as a home care nurse I can tell you that if your surgeon says not to cross your legs then you must not. Crossing your legs could inhibit the healing of the fracture and you could then face more surgery and longer disability.

My husband had a hip replacement. He is a high-energy person who exercises every day and never sits still. The hip restrictions drove him nuts but he followed them. He has chronic back pain as well. During his recovery he sat in a recliner and that seemed to help.

12:14 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I hope it won't be too much longer before you can do the Tai Chi. I wear Thermacare heat wraps for my lower back pain, Ginnie, and they really do help. If that area is kept warm, the muscles won't spasm.

7:33 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

Oh, goodness. I have no answers, but certainly understand the back problem.
Take care, Ginnie. Sending good thoughts your way.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I have some scoliosis in my lower back. But so far, I don't have pain. I did find that a chiropractor helped--especially when the muscles would get tight and my back needed a good crack! Glad that you are healing well.

2:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home