Sunday, April 10, 2011

Those EVAN ESAR crossword quips …





The main theme of many a crossword puzzle seems to be a quip by Evan Esar. I’ve seen the name often enough but it wasn’t until a few days ago that I decided to find out more about him. It turns out that he was an American humorist who wrote “Esar’s Comic Dictionary” in 1943 and many more books on humor until his death at the ripe old age of 96. I guess that proves, once again, that “laughter is the best medicine”.

The length and humor of his quips make them perfect fodder for inclusion in a crossword grid and here are some of my favorites:

Nothing ages your car as much as the sight of your neighbor's new one.

Conscience is what makes a boy tell his mother before his sister does.

Most new books are forgotten within a year, especially by those who borrow them.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy -- and Jill a rich widow.

Admiration -- Our feeling of delight that another person resembles us.

A husband is like a fire, he goes out when unattended.

Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can lose.

Many a man who falls in love with a dimple make the mistake of marrying the whole girl

Zoo: An excellent place to study the habits of human beings

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am new to crosswords, but I haven't seen any. Maybe they don't travel across the border.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Those are good Ginnie. I haven't done crosswords in a while but do like them. I am hung up on Scrabble right now.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

First time I heard of Evan Esar, Ginnie. i have done a few, but never seen these witticisms. And, I am a also a Plainfield, NJ native and here this week.

3:47 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I have seen a few of those, but I never knew where they came from. He was smart!

8:02 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

Great quotes, Ginnie. I'd never heard of him either. Thanks!

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home