Wednesday, November 17, 2010

WHIMSICAL YARD ART … ala Brian



My son-in-law Brian is a master when it comes to making art out of discarded materials. Here we see his adorable nymphet statue who I feel sure was holding fast to a cupid’s arrow before Brian got hold of her.

Now she is proudly displaying a small shovel and could be dubbed “our lady of perpetual gardening”. She sits amid the greenery as you approach their front door and never fails to make me smile.

I’m sure you’ve seen spiders made from recycled farm machinery and they have two of these on display as you approach the house on their driveway. Unfortunately I don’t have a picture of them.

But I do have a picture of my favorite “Brian inspiration” … a very large outdoor bell that he designed from a discarded oxygen tank.



He cut off the bottom, outfitted it with a clapper and hung it high on one of their trees. When a good wind blows the tolling of the bell is mesmerizing. The tone is deep and reverberating and if I close my eyes I feel like I’m back in Italy.

Brian has a large stockpile of discarded metallic pieces so he was ready when a customer asked if he could make an Armillary for his estate. You see the result here:



You can tell how large it actually is when you see the satisfied customer standing next to it out in his field.



What is harder to see is the big grin on the customer’s face !

8 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

I so envy people who can do metal art. I think it's fascinating and wish that I could do it! Brain is very talented! Love Di ♥

4:22 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, it certainly show that Brian is creative and resourceful in finding alternate uses for things that others would discard. I like the tank windchime the best - we have lots of windchimes inside and outside although none that large.

4:32 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Oh, I can just hear that bell. I want one!! Love the cupid with shovel.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

What talent, I love those pieces of art. See nothing goes to waste :)

10:27 PM  
Anonymous AC said...

It's amazing what people turn the hands and hearts to. Makes the world an interesting place.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

He is one clever lad. I have seen art made from pieces of farm equipment. There are lots of interesting shaped parts.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Those are wonderful pieces of art. I like the wind chime. I am sure that sounds wonderful.

4:41 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Oh how wonderful! I truly identify with Our Lady of Perpetual Gardening... My mind races with possibilities - a Putti on its knees with garden gloves and a handful of weeds would be perfect for me! If I didn't have so much yard work to do I would consider making one!
Great post!

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home