Wednesday, November 10, 2010

“Have you ever seen the rain …


Comin’ down on a sunny day?”

Remember those words? They are the chorus refrain from the hit song of the 1970’s, “Have You Ever Seen the Rain?” by the American rock band, Creedance Clearwater Revival.

I heard it today and the words conjured up a memory that has to be at least 65 years old!

I was about 12 at the time and living in Wellesley Hills, Mass., a suburb of Boston. As I recall it some Junior High School friends and I were in the small town square sitting on a bench under the picturesque bell tower structure ... home to the town’s clock that struck the time 24 hours a day. I have no idea if it exists today but it’s vivid in my memory ... as is the bright sunshine.

We were waiting for some friends who were to arrive by bus from Boston. The actual bus stop was across the street but it was a very busy three-way intersection and we felt more secure where we were.

Then out of nowhere, or so it seemed, it started to rain … but it was no ordinary downpour. In amazement we watched as the sheets of rain pelted down ACROSS THE STREET. We could actually see where the rain ended. The people across the street were running for shelter while WE WERE STILL IN BRIGHT SUNSHINE.

In all my 77 years I’ve never seen anything like that again. If I look at it practically I realize that rain has to stop somewhere but it was a once in a lifetime experience for me.

It makes me wonder ... have any of you seen anything like that?

8 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

Hi Ginnie,
I have seen that before, it's pretty awesome in an odd sort of way! I remember driving down a street where it was dry on my side and raining on the on coming traffic. I guess it has to stop somewhere! Love Di ♥

2:37 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It has rained here and not at the kids place just on the other side of our small town. Snow too.

=====================================
I am now blogging over at The AC is On

5:56 PM  
Blogger possum said...

We used to experience that a lot on Montserrat, the island in the British West Indies. We would sometimes have small bands of rain come across the volcano and if we ran fast enough, we could run from one sunny side thru the rain over to the other sunny side.
I remember it raining on 3 holes on the golf course - and I mean pouring rain - and the other golfers stood in the sunshine.
So cool!

9:18 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

In the country I have scene such rain events. The most startling is when you see a wall of rain coming toward you and pass you by.

Often I have seen it rain on one side of a road and not on the other.

Another phenomena I enjoy are "dust devils", this tiny tornadoes of dust dancing along a country road.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

In the country I have scene such rain events. The most startling is when you see a wall of rain coming toward you and pass you by.

Often I have seen it rain on one side of a road and not on the other.

Another phenomena I enjoy are "dust devils", this tiny tornadoes of dust dancing along a country road.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yes GInnie, I have seen this happen and usually we have been driving on a roadway and can see the rain sheets ahead, but usually it has ended by the time we have travlled to that location.

4:14 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I remember driving through rain in such a way that it was like driving through a curtain. On one side it was clear and dry and on the other it was a downpour. Very weird!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I have seen it in England where there will be a cloud raining in one part of a field and where I am standing bright sunshine. I have also seen it on the water. It is truly a beautiful thing to witness.

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home