Saturday, October 23, 2010

I must have a “thing” for Frogs !



Some of you readers may remember my little tree frog. He made his first appearance on the day that I came home from Duke Hospital in August of 2004. I’d been there having a benign brain tumor removed and I chose to believe that “Froggy” was sent to welcome me home and be my “door warden”. He’d taken up residence in a small decorative bird house that was attached to my house and he actually returned there every August for the next 5 years.

This year he did not show up and I figured he probably gave up on me. If he was a prince in disguise (as so many of you suggested) he ran out of patience and I missed my chance. Somehow I could never get up the nerve to kiss the little guy. !

Now we fast forward to the present time. I have been trying to turn a jungle area behind my house into a lawn and have spent many hours back there watering and keeping my fingers crossed. I am not known for a green thumb !

Now, imagine my surprise when I, once again, come upon a small frog who seems to want to be friends. If you look carefully you can see him emerging from his “home”
… a narrow drainage pipe sticking out of the ground.



He’s not the least bit skittish around me and I get the distinct impression that he’s been sent by Froggy #1. Do you suppose he’s giving me a 2nd chance?

Hmmmmmm.

9 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

This is such a hopeful post for me Ginnie. I have been in the same house for 11 years and this past summer for the first time found a toad friend in my yard (yours is a toad too by the way) He kept me company most of the summer while gardening and then finally hoped away! I am so hoping that he returns next year. After reading your story I have more hope than ever!! Thank you, Love Di ♥

5:03 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Ginnie, of course the little Prince is giving you a wonderful sign :)
As per usual I love coming to your blog to read what you have to share.
You know, hubby and I used to have a family of Magpies come visit us every Spring to show u their new offspring, we thought we were very lucky.
My kids are also lucky that the same family of swallows come and nest at their school.. in the same area they always had done when I was a little kid there... I think we have much to learn from nature :) Keep your eyes pealed:)

7:44 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Of course, we enjoyed this post Ginnie since we obviously have a fondess for frog (and penguins too). And we have some frriends of your friend in our gardens too.

11:26 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

You never know - so make him welcome and take photos!!

We have had various toads and frogs (I can seldom tell the difference) to come back year after year too, and it makes me happy!!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Just as long as you don't take to kissing him or her. Actually, go ahead if you really want to.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, we appreciate frogs too - can't you tell by the name of our blog as you can tell by the name of our blog! And we have had several of these frogs/toads visiting our gardens so it's always a good thing!

6:20 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Sure, Ginnie, pucker up and let us know what happens! LOL!
I bet you'd be amazed how many little critters there are out there. Most just hide from us.
Have you named him/her yet? Better give him/her a unisex name.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I think that your little fellow is a toad Ginnie. But they are abundant this time of year. And they don't give you warts either.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Caddie said...

Kiss him Ginnie! You never know...

I haven't been to your blog in awhile but I will be here more often from now on. Enjoyed reading your recent posts and must check out the violinist.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home