Saturday, October 30, 2010

A GIFT FROM OUR FRIEND AMY …


Amy, who turned 90 this past year, has been a dear friend for approximately 45 years. She has a heart of gold and her latest gift to me and my daughter and son-in-law is proof of this.

She lives in NY City and surprised us (during my most recent sojourn to NY) by inviting us all to be her guests for dinner and a performance by the world renowned violinist Joshua Bell at Lincoln Center’s Avery Fisher Hall .

It’s been many years since I’ve seen a live performance of this caliber and it was a HUGE thrill for me.

Joshua Bell, for the few of you who might not recognize his name, came to national acclaim when he was just 14 years old. This led to a debut at Carnegie Hall and now, at the age of 43, he is known world wide. He plays a 1713 Stradivarius … (valued at four million dollars !!) and the purity and precision of his music are mesmerizing.

But Joshua’s talent is not only in his music. He is a natural showman and it is a feast for the eyes to watch him lose himself in what he is playing. He sways and bends and captures the audience in his enthusiasm. He doesn’t release us until he ends his last note with a flourish. Then there is a second of total silence before we are all on our feet applauding and begging for more.

It was an evening and a joy that I will never forget and I say from my heart: “Thank you, Amy” if you happen to read this !

7 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

What a wonderful treat!! I love live performances, and we don't get to see as many as we used to. We saw Itzhak Perlman here at NC State some year ago - what a thrill!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Awesome Ginnie, I wish I could have been there too. I have heard of Josh.
Love Di ♥

5:05 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie--what a wonderful gift. I love NYC--and combine that with great music!
Do you get to NYC frequently?

5:21 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I have several CDs featuring Joshua Bell and enjoy them very much. What a wonderful experience to have seen and heard him perform, Ginnie. I didn't know about the $4 million violin - WOW!

6:45 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Now THAT'S a friend!
Let me know when you go up next time... just in case you need some company! LOL!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I wonder if an instrument like that would make even me sound better? Nah!

3:34 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

That is great Ginnie. I posted a story about how he played his violin in the subway and a few people stopped but most hurried past, not knowing who he was.

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home