Wednesday, October 06, 2021

HATRED in our country...

I know that this is a big change from my last 5 blog entries where I took everyone, myself included, back to a time of 'NORMALITY' in our country. However those days seem to be gone forever and my own clash with it last week brought it front and center to me.

I needed to stock up on some things and decided to go to Walmart. It was the usual busy place and the check out lines were long. I gave a smile to the woman (with her overloaded cart) at the end of one line and said something inane like “I guess this will test our patience.”

I realized too late that I shouldn't have tried to be friendly. She immediately took it as an invitation to spout out her hatred of the way things were now and the minute she mentioned Trump I put up my hand and said “no politics please”. Well, as you might imagine, that opened the gates and, after she'd spouted more hatred she shook her fist at me and said (in her loud, angry voice) “I'll bet you're one of those damn, f__ king Democrats.”

I wanted to ignore her but she kept on ranting so, once again, I held up my hand & said, “yes, I wouldn't characterize it as you put it, but I am a very proud Democrat.”

Luckily it had become her turn to check out and she didn't have time to continue her ranting. I was glad it was over, but looking back on it I realized that no one had agreed with me (and, in all fairness, had not taken her side either), but it was a very sad awakening of how low our country has become. 

I pray it's not too late.


 

7 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Good grief. What a disgusting display of hatred, how does one reach such a person?

4:50 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

I guess I'll have to quit being friendly, too, if that happens to me. I usually smile at people, if they even look at me. I just don't understand the venom and the need to spout it all over the place.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

There is unspecified anger out there.

3:43 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

That is a sad situation we are now in. I use to have some fun conversations in the check out line. I live in a very red county so I will probably not do that anymore. I usually get my groceries by pick up these days.

5:56 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I pray so too, Ginnie. I decided last year not to say anything to anyone that I thought might hold a differing opinion from mine, at least in person. I have no qualms about demeaning Trump on-line or in print. He is loathesome to the nth degree.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Were people always as aggressive as they are now? I live in a purple area in a larger blue state with a red eastern side and have NEVER dealt with as much political vitriol (unsolicited) as lately. Like you, I'm a proud Democrat but don't want to get punched, so I keep my mouth shut about my leanings.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Joared said...

That woman's behavior was senseless but then that seems to be characteristic of many of those who think like she does.

2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home