Monday, September 13, 2021

ER Memories (#1)


In 1982 I was working in the emergency department of our local hospital. That's me on the right with one of the nurses and Dr. J., the Director of the ER. I think this was some sort of promotion photo.

As I looked at this picture recently it reminded me of a particular day in the early 80's that I worked in the ER while my husband was a patient upstairs in the hospital. This was not unusual. He was a very brittle type I diabetic and was often admitted for observation. I had checked on him before going to work and he was doing well.

I didn't realize that it was Valentine's Day until one of the Doctors brought in a large box of candy for us. “Darn”, I thought, “I should have bought a card for Dick.” Then it occurred to me that I could make him one. Luckily we were not busy and I decided to craft a Valentine's card from stuff in the ER. I gathered old magazines, colored markers, scissors, etc. and got to work.

I was sitting next to Dr. J. but didn't know that he was watching me. When I looked up and noticed his quizzical expression I proudly held up the card which I had created. He shook his head and said “Wow. That is so ...” and I was sure he was going to say “...creative and loving” or something to that effect. Instead he said “Wow. That is so cheap. Why not buy the poor guy a card?”

I was crushed but if the ER teaches you anything its resilience so I just smiled and turned my back on him. After all he was just a doctor and what do they know???



4 Comments:

Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Ok I had to laugh a bit. I was no way expecting that as I am sure you weren't.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am hoping that he said that in a kidding way, but it doesn't sound like that.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Lol. You were right of course! Hand made much better than any bought card!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

from my friend Jan ...

"Well, yeah, it was cheaper than buying a card... and the "card' you might have picked out might have been the most expensive in the store - who knows... BUT, MY opinion... a hand made card is worth a million Hallmarks. It shows true love and thought vs just buying something showy or glittery that does the job. You can send me a hand-made card any day you like, Ginnie, and it would be a treasure!

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home