Friday, April 16, 2021

Papa Lee's “Golden Birds”

Papa, my grandfather. was almost child-like in the way he approached life.  It was up to my Grandma Lee to take care of the "every day" things.  However she never tried to change him. She knew that his greatest contribution came from his writings and she gave him space to do that. He earned a living by working for Warner Brothers in the 30's, writing movie reviews for his column in one of the NY papers and, as I've also written, he was a published author.

However, we (his 5 grandchildren, the Lee sisters) were the ones who really brought out the child in him. His poems for us are far from classic but they came straight from his heart and are proof of his love. The following is another of the poems he wrote for us in 1937. 

GOLDEN BIRDS”

I know a flight of golden birds attends me everywhere I go, the air is golden with their wings, their songs like golden rivers flow.

My golden birds are golden prayers that little children say for me. They send them from their hearts to God. He knows my need and sets them free.

And so I care not what the road, nor what the winds of heaven blow. I know a flight of golden birds attends me everywhere I go.






4 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

A grandfather who wrote such words in those days was unusual. You were fortunate to have had such an expressive grandfather. You can share him with his progeny so beautifully.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Such a treasure for you. We have been blog friends for a long time. In todays post, I linked to posts from six years ago, and there you were in the comments. Most of the other commenters have gone, and I don't even really remember some of them.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

What a comfort those words would have been to a child as they still are for an adult. So glad the words were never lost.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Joared said...

Another lovely poem with such moving sentiment from your grandfather.

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home