Tuesday, April 06, 2021

The many talented Shel Silverstein (1930-1999)

I recently came across an article about the 1969 Johnny Cash performance at San Quentin prison where he brought the inmates to a standing ovation after singing "A Boy Named Sue". Both Johnny and the song became overnight sensations and it got me to wondering who wrote the song.

Lo and behold it was Shel Silverstein who wrote both the words and the music.  That was a surprise to me. I thought that he was a writer and illustrator of children's books, although I shouldn't use the word "just" because there was nothing ordinary about any of his books.

This example of his book "Where the Sidewalk Ends" proves this:


"There is a place where the sidewalk ends .... and before the street begins  ... and there the 

grass grows soft and white ... and there the sun burns crimson bright ... and there the moon

bird rests from his flight ...to cool in the peppermint wind." 


So, why am I posting about Shel Silverstein ?  He was a cartoonist, playwright, poet, performer and recording artist.  He also won a Grammy and was nominated for an Oscar for the song "I'm checking Out" for the film Postcards from the Edge.

I had no idea that he was so multi-talented and thought that might be of interest to others too.














4 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Our daughter loved his poetry. So did my husband and I.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

With all of your acquaintances with the famous, I thought you were going to say that you had met him. The Johnny Cash movies, Walk the Line, was a fave of mine.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

wow, what a multi talented man. Seems whatever he put his mind to he did really well.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Joared said...

Thanks for this. I have one of his books and didn't know about his other talents including writing songs.

3:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home