Monday, May 01, 2017

The BOSS …

This picture is a little fuzzy because I took it through the screened window in my office. However there's nothing indistinct about this handsome fellow ! He's definitely the boss. From the moment he spied my small bird feeder he's been in charge.

This all started about a month ago. I had just adhered the feeder to the window and was back inside at my desk when I heard a flurry of activity. There must have been 4 or 5 little wrens vying for a position on the feeder when all of a sudden they were scattered to the wind by the huge and regal Cardinal that you see here. He swooped in and has been there pretty much all the time since then.

It's actually a little eerie. I know he can't possibly be here ALL the time but it never fails … whenever another bird dares to settle at the feeder he makes himself known. And the strangest thing is that he often doesn't even feed. He just perches there … assumes his regal stance and, like a King, is very aware that HE IS THE BOSS.
 




 

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

He's a big fish in a little pond as it were. :)

The screening adds an interesting texture to the photo.

4:14 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Ah ha, a bird bully. I thought only hummers did that.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Oops, forgot to add that I loved the shot. Well done.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Heholds his head is a regal manner!

8:16 PM  
Blogger possum said...

How cool that you get to watch their behavior. Guess that is his spot. Name him Sheldon? (Big Bang?)

8:33 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Wrens and chickadees are my favorite birds. The cardinals are indeed beautiful but they are definitely bossy. And big enough to get away with it.

5:42 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Cardinals became my favorite bird after our years of living in Virginia where it is the state bird. We used to get them at our feeders as well, but I never knew the males to be territorial.

4:16 PM  
Blogger joared said...

I liked having cardinals when we lived in the midwest -- so colorful against the snow. Your bird is majestic. Do wish he'd let the sweet little wrens in occasionally. Mockingbirds and finches predominate where I am now in So Cal. Occasionally, a flock of noisy parrots have been known to come through. I've heard them up the street in the trees with whatever attracts them there.

2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home