Tuesday, April 19, 2016

KIVA update...



As some of you know I’ve been enamored with KIVA for a long time. This is a world- wide organization that specializes in micro-financing.  These are loans that the big banks can't be bothered with but are life saving for the low income entreprenaurs that apply for them.  My small LOAN of $25, paired with other contributors who do the same, makes it possible to empower a person, or group of persons to start a small business. 

I highlighted the word LOAN because that is just what it is.  As the person pays back his or her loan I am repayed.  I then have a choice to take the money back or reloan it to someone else.  I am excited to say that I just got notice of another payment and when I put it back into Kiva it made 49 people that I have given loans to since 2009.  And the most amazing part is that it has cost me very little...just my initial 3 loans that I spaced over 3 months.  Since then I have simply given back to Kiva whenever my repayments reach over $25...and to date the actual money that it has generated is $1,250.

So far I have contributed to people in 41 different countries.  Today's choice is Jameela, from Pakistan.:   
A cross section of others include:  Anysakhon from Kyrgyzastan:
and Theodomir from Rwanda

Check it out.  Kiva has a first rate reputation and has helped to change lives world wide for many years.  It's an example of how a small investment can reap huge benefits. 

10 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

I've done the same with Kiva for a number of years now too. I always loan to older women running a business to support a family, often including grandchildren. I like the Kiva system.

6:42 PM  
Blogger joared said...

I've been aware of such groups but haven't been that familiar with any. Interesting to read of your experience as it certainly sounds worthwhile.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I love the concept and will check it out. Thanks for making me aware of such a great organization.

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so neat. I will have to check out KIVA. Wonderful and thanks for sharing Ginnie.

1:00 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Amazing. And wonderful...:)

3:39 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am so glad that you continue on with this.

4:51 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

I love Kiva. My son-in-law got me started several years ago.
I try to pick individuals, preferably from an African country (a nod to my childhood), and preferably women. Of course, I have deviated from the self-imposed choice restrictions when something strikes me as worthy.
My only annoyance was recently Kiva decided to select the next folks to whom I would loan--admittedly, I dallied before choosing. But, the upshot was I went into my profile and set it that only I can choose to whom I loan.

7:27 PM  
Blogger possum said...

KIVA - one of the best ideas yet!
DO it folks!

5:30 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks Ginnie for reminding me how worthwhile this organization is and how exciting to see how your contribution helps others. I will be checking out the link this week.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks Ginnie for reminding me how worthwhile this organization is and how exciting to see how your contribution helps others. I will be checking out the link this week.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home