Friday, March 13, 2015

OOPS … or, How to feel like a senile Senior !


Well, it’s like this: I just got my vehicle registration renewal form and I was happy to see the words

                                                  “NO Inspection Required

written in red under the due date. I thought that was a little odd but then I figured that maybe North Carolina was instituting a new 2 year inspection thing and I was happy to save that part of the cost at least.

I decided to pay the fee on line (as I had done last year) but it kept kicking me out and finally, in frustration, I headed to the local DMV office. I hate to go there since it is always packed with people and it takes forever to get to the front of the line. This day was no different and it took me almost an hour to finally get to see a clerk.

I handed the paper to her while explaining that I had no idea why I hadn’t been able to pay the fee on line. She answered that she could no nothing for me until I had the vehicle inspected. Well, you can imagine how I jumped on that …pointing her to the NO Inspection Required line written in red on the form.

She didn’t even bother to answer that. She just gave me that look that young people have when dealing with seniors. Then she took her pen and circled the words in red and dismissed me with the words …“Come back after the car’s been inspected”.

I was confused, as you can imagine, and when I got to my car I decided to take another look …this time with my glasses on. Oh, no. Very clearly in red it was written:

                                                  “NC Inspection Required”
 

9 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

The look of the very young in dealing with anyone over 50 really gets me. To feel dismissed isn't good. But she was right. Sorry that you had to endure the DMV line.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Oh no, that sounds like something I would do. Darn our eyes.

11:51 AM  
Blogger possum said...

OH NO! OOPS is right.
But, in a week or two - after you have had the car inspected - you will have a good laugh.

(I no longer go without glasses... guess why? Oh wait, you now know!)

1:32 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

My brother in law just emailed me and I thought I'd share his words here:
"hi- just read your blog about your mis-adventures with the registration people--actually broke out laughing at the last line--I, of course, would never have done anything so silly--
Hope your battle with ( I can't think of the word..ahh, shingles) is done .. those types of lapses kinda of belies my statement above, huh? Luvya, Clif"

2:56 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I think that "look" when dealing with seniors is payback for when they were dismissed as teenagers. If it makes you feel better, I thought my renewal also said "NO Inspection" until I got out my reading glasses.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

oops, haha. What a shame. I hope it all goes well dear friend xx

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Been there done that. Got the inspection.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here in the UK a vehicle over 3 years old has to be inspected every year.
What amazes me is that old drivers do not, and after the age of 70, all you have to do to renew your driving licence/permit is fill out a form saying, more or less, .. "I'm OK to drive" !

7:59 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That was funny to me if not you.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home