Wednesday, February 11, 2015

1933… a belated VALENTINE !


If I’d been born just a few hours earlier I would have been a Valentine baby…what fun ! But, no, my birth was on the fifteenth of February, 1933, which means that this Sunday I will be the grand old age of 82. I know this to be a fact but I can’t seem to wrap my mind around it and, to be honest, I’ve been feeling pretty down about the whole thing.

I wasn’t even sure that I wanted to share this with you so I decided to stop writing and check my emails instead, and wouldn’t you know it …I got just the gift that I needed. It was in the form of a wonderful email from a 64 year old woman living in Massachusetts. She was surfing the web and somehow my entry about Norumbega Park popped up. With her permission I share part of the email that she sent to me ...

"My favorite memory of Norumbega was the little carts that were hand cranked along a track. It was at the bottom of the hill but I shinied there. You see, I caught polio in 1955 and although paralyzed initially from the neck down, I had exercised into having very strong arms to help me navigate myself on crutches. And those carts....those wonderful little carts. I got on one, fit my braced leg to hold it in and took off like there was no tomorrow. I always beat the other kids and I loved it. …you have evoked feelings, smells and memories that I will always cherish. Thank you for sharing with us.”

That was just a snippet of her lovely email but it brought me out of my “funk”. If I can give pleasure to others by just recording my memories that‘s more than enough for me !

10 Comments:

Blogger possum said...

I think you would be amazed at the people who love to hear from you whether you are sharing your memories or sharing your strength and wisdom.
I know I feel lucky to have gotten to know you. I cherish our visits whether in person or on the phone or on this screen in front of me.
Happy Valentine's Day.
Happy Birthday.
And Happy Me for knowing you!

4:27 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

That is what makes blogging such a wonderful experience. You just never know who you will reach or positively effect.
What a great Birthday present and I hope your day will be delightful.
Happy Birthday Ginnie.

4:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Ginnie, please always share your memories. They are so wonderful. Thank you for today's post. I am about 9 years behind you in age. My youngest child will turn 50 this year.

10:57 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Happy Birthday, blogger buddy. And many many more.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Funks are part of the human condition. So is funkiness. So get down and get funky on your birthday.

4:25 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happy (early) Birthday, Ginnie and not only do we have a former hometown (Plainfield, NJ) in common but also the same birth month. Enjoy YOUR special day as I did mine.

2:30 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

& a very happy birthday to sweet Ginnie.....:) T.B.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello Ginnie,

Happy Birthday. Wish you have a wonderful day today. Amazing you are 82. May God bless you with a long life with all health and happiness.

Best wishes

8:39 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Happy birthday darling friend xx

1:09 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Ginnie, so sorry that I missed your birthday. I get down about getting older too. I think that we all do. My mother at 95 said that there was still a 25 year old inside the old body. I suppose we just have to make peace with the fact that every day matters, no matter the age.

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home