Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A blogger’s delight …

Every once in awhile I will get a comment on one of my older blog entries and it always surprises and pleases me. Recently I received this comment in reference to an entry that I posted way back on June 14 2007.
 
"Ginny - What a moving and profound remembrance! I, too, had Mr. Crockett at Wellesley High, but it was 22 years after you left the hallowed halls of the old majestic building on Seaver Street. Like you and Sylvia, Mr. Crockett left an indelible mark on my life. In the end, I became a teacher because of him (I am now in year 35 in the classroom at The Greenwich Country Day School.) I think of Sylvia quite often when I stay at my home in Eastham on the Cape, just down the road on the Bay Side where Sylvia and Ted lived for two months during the summer of 1957. Warren Plath is a neighbor. When I visit Rock Harbor or walk the beaches at Nauset I am reminded that Sylvia also found such vistas sacred as well. By the way, I also loved your post on the Totem Pole! Mom and Dad had their first date their together in 1939, when they danced to Glenn Miller and His Orchestra! God bless you, my fellow Wellesleyite - and, as Mr. Crockett would surely say, keep writing!"

Isn’t that a great comment? Not only does it make me want to keep writing but it is gratifying to know that my words have had a positive impact on an unknown reader. I’m sure that you bloggers out there know what I mean.

I am in my 80’s now and the exercise of writing and posting a new entry every fifth day helps to keep my mind alert. This alone would keep me going but the comments are the icing on the cake !

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, icing for you. What sad poems, Plath wrote and how fortunate you were to attend such a fine college.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Wow, that is a wonderful comment and nice to hear so long after the fact. I know the stray comment from a long ago post always pleases me. That you touched someone you never met and shared a memory of the same person is so special. Kind of makes blogging worth it doesn't it?

12:50 PM  
Blogger Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello Ginnie, greetings and good wishes.

Fabulous comment on your old post.

I enjoy reading your posts.

Best wishes

7:45 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

I am so glad you posted the link to that blog on Sylvia Plath.
As an English major, of course I read many of her poems. I also read A. Alvarez' book The Savage God. He chronicled how many poets committed suicide--made me wonder about the link between creative genius and self-destruction.
To think that you knew her, sat next to her...wow.
Thanks again for sharing.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Vagabonde said...

Such a wonderful comment. I certainly understand how gratifying it is to have readers come and share such positive stories.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a nice things to happen.

I have no doubt that your mind is and shall be alert.

6:32 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Great comment, Ginnie!
Writing has been a form of therapy for me for quite a few years. I have done my Musings since 1998.
I know I miss your postings when you take a break (but I am glad you still get to go places.)

It is fun to remember folks from back when. You all must have had a great teacher.

5:47 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Amazing thing, this Internet. Where else could you have found someone who had the same teacher as you 22 years later than you? And to have known such a famous person as Sylvia Plath? Great post.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

You have a wealth of information to share and you are very sharp. I think of you as being so much younger than what you state your age to be. You have a young spirit.

Sylvia Plath's life and poetry has interested me for a long time.

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home