Sunday, March 08, 2015

Another year in China:

 
Here they are again … my good friend Lisa and her husband spending their second year teaching in China. This (slightly out of focus) picture is a photo op from their most recent venture to Yangshuo, an area that is famous for it’s Karst formations. They look happy but the bird looks totally bored. I would guess that he’d be much happier hunting prey than being displayed as “window dressing”.

I didn’t know the word Karst so I did some research: Wikipedia says “Karst is a landscape formed from the dissolution of soluble rocks including limestone, dolomite and gypsum. It is characterized by sinkholes, caves, and underground drainage systems.” In the U.S. Florida would be an example of this.



Lisa said they stayed in the Yangshuo Mountain Retreat that offered stunning views of the formations. They did lots of walking, and climbing with cave tours and a trip down the Li River in a bamboo boat.

She writes that it was a great respite from the heavily trafficked area of Pinghu where they live and teach and I’m pleased that she shared it with me. Now I can pass it on to you !

9 Comments:

Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Thanks, I found this quite informative, especially as a former Florida resident.
I am always amazed at the shapes of China's mountains. They always look so worn and old.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello Ginnie, greetings and good wishes.

Very interesting information. I wonder how many people go to China for work.

Best wishes

7:23 AM  
Blogger Lux G. said...

That's such an experience. I'd like to visit China someday too. :)

Stay warm there now. :)

9:39 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Wow... what an adventure!
Everyone should have an opportunity to visit a place that is very foreign to their own culture.
Awesome scenery, too!

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ginnie
Off subject, but I have answered your request in my latest post ... John

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post. Yes, Florida is a vast limes one peninsula filled with caverns and sink holes.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The mountain views are spectacular. While your niece and her husband are to be applauded for their work in China, it is not on my travel destinations.

6:46 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Neat! We live 12 miles from Fountain, Minn. which characterizes itself as the sinkhole capitol of North America. The karst geology here makes most very conscious of protecting our groundwater...:)

10:26 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Really beautiful. I can imagine how exciting it must be for them to be there.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home