Friday, August 22, 2014

August 23, 1958 …

56 years ago today I married the sweet man that you see here. We had a lovely wedding in NY City and looked forward to a long and exciting life together. As fate would have it things didn’t turn out quite like we envisioned. Sickness, (Type 1 diabetes) was the culprit and it took over Dick’s life.

In 1978 we moved from NY to North Carolina and in the mid 80’s Dick’s health deteriorated rapidly. He had a hard time sleeping and would often be up very late at night. I was working in the ER of our local hospital then and had to leave the house by 6:30 in the morning so, needless to say, it was hard to communicate.

It was during this time that he started leaving little notes for me, which I found in the morning. They were always accompanied by cartoon-like faces and I saved and framed a few of them in remembrance... along with my favorite picture of him on his horse Thunder.


Dick died at the young age of 59 but we had 32 years together and I will always treasure the words that he wrote: Bless this house for relaxation, recuperation and restoration
 

9 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You have 32 years of good memories. Some people are not this lucky, even though they might have more years. This day must be bittersweet though, and I wish you a well.

4:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful couple. These days, according to the magazines I am reading dedicated to Diabetes, the line between Type 1and Type 2 diabetes is fading.. Translated...kids are developing Type 2 diabetes. Such an awful disease. I have watched several members of my family succumb to this malady. Your Dick died very young. I know it was difficult for you. Wonderful you preserved the little notes.

5:24 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Treasures - the time you did have together, and those precious cartoons!
Thinking of you...

5:24 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I'm sure this is a bittersweet day for you. To celebrate, to grieve, and to remember.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

What a good and happy looking couple. Though some of those years were hard, not many can claim so many with the spouse they adored.
Enjoy those memories.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Regenia said...

Such a touching post. He sounds like he focused on what was important.

2:04 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie--bless you for sharing this story of your wonderful romance and marriage. Your attitude speaks volumes--many people with less loss in their lives complain about their lot in life.
You celebrate what you had and have.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I am a late on blog post reading, Ginnie, but what a beautiful photos of you both. Your anniversary was just 2 days after ours (8/21) and so far we have only had 15 years together but hope to continue as you and Dick.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I am catching up on your blog, Ginnie. Been a busy few weeks. Thank you for sharing your times with Dick. I'm glad that you had time together, but is isn't enough. I'm sure the day is filled with memories.

5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home