Friday, January 08, 2010

AN UNLIKELY CHRISTMAS GIFT ….

For the last three years my daughter and her husband have closed down their antique barn in New York in the brutal winter months and have come south to stay with me until April.

The first year they arrived with their dog Wren. Then last year they had adopted a small dog named Bella and, of course, she had to come too.

This year was a bit of a quandary because they’d added 4 chickens to their household and it would be unthinkable to leave them behind. Soooooo … what does a kindly mother & mother-in-law do? She has a chicken coop added to the back of her house and gives it to them as a Christmas gift !





Now the whole family is happily ensconced at my house. Here you see my daughter and my son Mark’s child Faye giving them their daily feed.

These beautiful ladies pay us back by giving us four eggs each day and who could ask for more than that? My only concern is, “what will happen next year ?”

The answer, of course, is for them to move the whole “kit ‘n kaboodle” down permanently and we’re working on that !!

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Since there's a pattern here, let's hope the kit 'n kaboodle thing breaks it. :)

3:24 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Oh, wouldn't that be wonderful for you!! I can't imagine you as a chicken farmer, but I suppose stranger things have happened....LOL

5:22 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Wait...you have a chicken house on the back of your house for visiting chickens? Did I get that right? Well, why not have permanent chickens?

8:04 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Oh Ginnie you are so sweet to have the coup added on for the chickens! I absolutely love chickens. I love watching them. I would get some myself if I didn't already have two dogs, four cats and a fifteen year old! Love Di

6:02 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Aren't you the wonderful mother. Now an urban farmer. I don't suppose you have room for two 700 pound pet sows.

I have been trying to get rid of the few farm animals I have left so it will be easier for me to be away visiting my friend Lynne, more often.

I have not been able to convince her that her lovely fenced suburban back yard could accommadate some goats, chickens, rabbits and ducks. The ducks I am sure would love her swimming pool and hot tube, which occasionally catch the eye of wild ducks passing by. It would be such fun fighting city hall which has bylaws against keeping farm animals within city limits.

With the few animals I mentioned she could easily supply us with milk, meat, eggs and wonderful milk products: cheese, yogurt, butter, soap without much trouble at all.

I have not been able to convince her yet. She is willing to have Heidi visit and the yard would be great for her. I think she knows that if she rejected Heidi, my beloved Great Dane, it would be a deal breaker on our romance.

As it is she would like me to close down my life and join her in suburbia. I grew up there when it wasn't such an upscale neighbourhood and managed to escape. Going back doesn't seem possible and may end up being a deal breaker on our relationship in the end. Sometimes life give you hard choices to make between different road to travel down.

It is lovely that your children and grandchildren can join you for part of the year and that you are so gracious as to accommadate their pets as well.

Are't fresh eggs wonderful. The yokes are darker and seem to stand up so much more than farm factory eggs.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I like those chickens. That is really cool. Great gift. I can tell that you love animals. Where is the rooster?

12:18 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I love chooks.. Mia wants a couple and she intends on calling them Salt ad Pepper. Hehe

4:22 AM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Ginnie how kind of you to open your home (and coop) to your daughter and family and what a delight for you to have their company and "fresh eggs".

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home