Monday, November 30, 2009

It had been a “so-so” day and then…



…I looked out the window and saw this spectacular sight. I almost forgot where I was as I basked in the glow. My mind knew that it was one of the glorious winter sunsets that we enjoy in our part of the world…but my heart went elsewhere

It brought to mind my dear friend Louie who passed away a few years back. He was a little guy in his mid 70’s and not in very good health but he loved going to AA meetings. We got to be friends and he would laugh about the fact that he had been the “town drunk” when I first moved to this little town in 1978.

I actually remember seeing him sitting on the steps of our Post Office. He would talk up a storm to anyone who gave him the chance. Then I didn’t see him anymore and I remember thinking that he’d probably moved away or become disabled.

Imagine my surprise when I walked into my first AA meeting in my home town in 1989. There sat Louie as sober as a judge but still talking up a storm. He and 4 other men had founded the meeting in 1983 and he had 24 years of sobriety when he died. This became my Home Group and I was the only female there for quite a few years. (Now we have a large group and there are more women than men!!)

But back to the lovely sunset and why it reminded me of Louie. As I said, he loved going to AA meetings and especially to one that was about 40 minutes from our town. It was held on Sunday night and I would pick Louie up at 6 in order to get there on time.

In November and December, unless it was raining, we could always count on a memorable sunset and we got to look forward to them every week. And it never failed that Louie would sigh and say, “The Big Guy in the sky has his paint brush out again”.

9 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

What a lovely sentiment to a lovely
sunset Ginnie!
Love Di

11:18 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

A very nice post, Ginnie, and a lovely sunset.

4:21 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

What a wonderful memory.
An interesting friendship--born of a common experience.
The sunset photo is lovely.
I am finding myself incapable of putting into words the feeling this post evokes in me. But I did enjoy it.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Aw, that's an awfully sweat memory.

7:44 PM  
Blogger steveroni said...

What pleasant memories!

I do not remember being here, but I read your comment on SYD's blog, and when I went to your blog profile, found that you are my age, 76. And you seem to have also that enthusiasm for AA, for life, for God which I SO admire.

And so I found you also remember the pleasantries of the past: "We shall not forget the past..." and I'm sure the Big Book means also the "nice" ones AFTER we come into sobriety. I have 35 years, and am just happy as can be.

It was nice to visit your blog, my favorite state is NC (Ashville, the mountains, etc. Went to Brevard Music camp (it's name back then) in 1951 (violin).

Love it right into Maggie Valley, all the way over the mts into Gatlinburg, have relatives living near there.

DAMMMMIT, I didn't mean to leave you with my autobio on a comment. Oh, well! Bless you, girl!

3:24 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I like that saying by Louie. What a great tribute to him and his spirit. Thanks for sharing this. God has indeed been busy with his sunsets lately.

11:38 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Great picture... great story.
AA has saved many lives - the world's greatest support group!

5:34 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

It is nice to remember friends particularly one's who overcame a fault in their lives and you respected them for that. I believe every person has some admirable quality that need to be brought to the fore.

My friend, Denis, has many qualities I admire but unfortunatly he is very self destructive person abusing several dangerous substances. Most people cannot know his fine qualities because of it.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Oh I love that image, it is a medicinal moment that the Sun set and the Sun rising gives the soul :)

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home