Saturday, January 23, 2010

1957 prize winner … “The Relay”



In late 1957 I was working in NY City and it was there that I met my husband-to-be. Richard had just left an interesting stint with “LIFE” magazine. He had been an assistant photographer and, although it was a heady experience, he wanted to get out on his own.

He was launching his own career as a free lancer in the photography field when we met, but I never tired of the stories he told of his 4 years at “LIFE“. He actually took a portrait shot of Margaret Bourke White and she wrote a lovely letter to him stating that it was one of the best portraits of her that had ever been taken. I still have her autobiography but I’m sorry to say that I lost the letter years ago.

I have often wondered what would have happened to Dick’s career (and our life together) had he stayed with “LIFE”. The picture that you see is titled “The Relay” and it was one that he took on assignment for “TIME” magazine. It was shot in Madison Square Garden in late 1956 and it won first prize for the category in the 1957 issue of “PHOTOGRAPHY ANNUAL”.

This should have been the start of an illustrious career but it was cut short by sickness. He was a very brittle Type 1 diabetic and it made it impossible for him to continue in a business that required odd hours and much travel. He died in 1990 at the age of 59.

My daughter and son-in-law have a small gallery of Dick’s photos in their home in New York. They are photos that he had printed and mounted himself and “The Relay” is among them.

7 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

Interesting post. Diabetes is a wicked disease, as you know.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

I love hearing your stories of your earlier days in the city Ginnie. And I would love to see more of your husbands portraits. I'm sorry that you lost him so soon.
Love Di

5:01 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You are a winner too, Ginnie.

5:29 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

That photo is wonderful. It is too bad his career was cut short like that. I should think that LIFE magazine was a great one to work for.

5:34 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Hey Ginnie! My computer finally let me open the comments section on your blog. You think yours is slow! I am amazed mine is still working! Anyway, just wanted to say how much I always enjoy your posts. Thanks for being there!
_/\_ (hands folded, bowing...)
namaste.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

How great that he was a photographer. I really think that is such a great talent. His "Relay" is an awesome photograph.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Gorgeous images, great story as usual Ginnie :)

4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home