Sunday, October 12, 2008

DOES EVERYONE HAVE A TWIN ???


I had a very strange thing happen to me recently. I was having lunch with a friend and a woman who I would judge to be about 40 approached our table. She excused herself for interrupting us and then asked if I would mind if she took my picture?

Of course I was a little taken aback and I asked her, “Why?” She said she couldn’t wait to send my picture to her mother, “because you are a dead ringer for my mom”, she said, “even to the way that you use your knife and fork.”

On questioning her further I found out that her mom was about 65 (this pleased me greatly since I‘m 10 years older) and that she was a widow and lived in Canton, Ohio. It was also interesting (and a little eerie) that she was the youngest of 5 children as am I. However she did have brothers, where all my siblings are sisters.

I did let her take my picture and then my friend and I commenced with our lunch. We conversed on many subjects and it seemed that we had forgotten the incident ... but something kept nagging at me even as we chattered away.

Suddenly it came to me. I remembered that my Grandmother,on my father’s side,had originally come from Canton, Ohio! I couldn’t wait to share this with the woman who had taken my picture. Perhaps we were actually related!

However I was disappointed to find that she and her party had already left the restaurant. Now I will never know is there was an actual connection between us or if it was just a strange coincidence. I’ve read that everyone has a “clone” somewhere ... and I guess this was mine.

I’m interested. Has anything like this ever happened to you?

11 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

Interesting, Ginnie.

Oh, you should mention the photo you use is the famous Diane Arbus photo of twins.

Anyway, some people think we all have a doppelganger, a twin. Maybe with a family connection, maybe without.

It would be interesting to know if your "twin" is because of a family connection. Wonder how you could get hold of the woman who took your photo. She didn't ask you for any info? name? phone?

I have only ever been told I look like a specific actress. I can only say--I wish.

4:09 PM  
Blogger azahar said...

The same thing happened to me two years back when I was in Khon Kaen (I am not too sure about the spelling) Thailand.

We were in a restaurant waiting to be served dinner. A band was playing. Suddenly everyone from my group looked at me. There was this strange expresssion on their faces.

There was nothing wrong with me. A guitarist looked exactlt like me, save for the grey hair of course. He was tall and sporting a goatie just like me.

Dr Kamarulzaman, a friend, even went to the distant and asked me whether my father was ever in Thailand!

He too loooked at me in disbelief. Same thoughts must be in his mind too.

It was a pity that we were soon too busy enjoying our dinner that I forgot about my mirror image.

He was gone by the time we finished dinner.

He never showed up again the following nights.

He must be one of the seven twins of mine. Well, according to many all of us have seven twins.

5:32 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Yes, it has. Not that anyone ever asked to take my photo, but I have been told at least 3-4 times in my life that "they know someone who is a dead ringer" for me. Back in 1958 or 9, there was a story in Life magazine about a high school on Long Island. One of their cheerleaders had my same name (both first and last) and her photo looked very much like me. It was eerie!

8:24 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

P.S. It is too bad you didn't catch her before she left the restaurant.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I have a clipping from a Buffalo New York paper that shows a Greek Orthodox priest leading a procession which I could pass off as a picture of me.

After an uncle of mine died a man showed up that looked like him and said he was a brother. Apparently, his father had a second family through the years with another woman and had children. Soundrel!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Something like this happened to Cuppa once. Apparently she has a look-alike in Georgia (I think it was).

1:33 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I have heard that there is someone who looks just like each of us. I've never been asked to have my photo taken but have been told that I resemble someone they know. Interesting stuff Ginnie.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Nora said...

I have heard that we all have someone who looks like us,soooo
interesting !!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Scott W said...

It wouldn't be a surprise, out of 6 billion someone would be lucky enough to look like me.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Bud said...

Ginny, Talk about coincidence. I was eating at a restaurant the other day and Clint Eastwood's son asked to take my picture...

2:31 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

OH, BUD.....YOU WISH !!!

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home