Monday, January 11, 2021

“FIRE and ICE” …by Robert Frost, (1874 -1963 )


 

"Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.

From what I’ve tasted of desire, I hold with those who favor fire,

But, if I had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate

To say that for destruction ice is also great... and would suffice.”


Although this powerful poem was written in 1920 I feel that his dire predictions are resonating in today's climate. The greed and lust for power and superiority that we are experiencing now is what I feel when I read these lines. Desire left unchecked becomes fire and can consume us quickly. Hate, on the other hand, is a much slower killer. It turns us into unfeeling human beings with hearts of ice.

Robert Frosts poem is warning us … telling us that we’d better learn to live with one another and to share our lives and our resources or we are doomed to pay the consequences. 

War...
insurrection ..coups...famine...fire or ice ?     It matters little...they all suffice. 

6 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Excellent points, Ginnie. I fear for our country in the coming weeks and years.
I love Robert Frost!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Education is important. Some adults didn't learn critical thinking in their school days and now believe whatever they're told -- by their favourite sources, of course.

4:34 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

His predictions sadly resonate for we as a people have not changed. Again, I hope our youth has made the move to change.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

I’m with AC. A good dose of critical thinking wouldn’t go astray.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

From my friend Jan ...

I long ago learned his words often mean so much more that what first appears.
I guess I was so lucky to have so many professors who MADE us THINK! They would argue a point from this side one day then, after we all believed them, come back and argue from the other side in the next class. At first it was baffling especially for those of us who did not yet have the ability to THINK. But it jolted a few of our brains into learning to look at everything from all sides.

7:23 AM  
Blogger David M. Gascoigne, said...

I studied this very poem many, many years ago at university.

4:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home