Saturday, September 22, 2018

Typical tone deaf white male ...

Well, he's the right age and, from his opening salvo at a recent debate event against his Democratic opponent, it is evident that he has the deeply ingrained ideas about women and their subservience to males that so many men of this era display.  

This is  Ralph Noman,  Republican Representative from So. Carolina who describes himself as "pro family conservative". He was the lead speaker at a Kiwanis Club debate session last week and started his introduction with this:  "Did y'all hear this latest, late breaking news from the Kavanaugh hearings?  Ruth Bader Ginsburg came out that she was groped by Abraham Lincoln."

That not-so-funny and sexist remark said so much about the man who uttered those words.   I grew up in that era and, although I loved a lot of it, I was constantly alert to the drawbacks.   It has taken the South an especially long time to make changes.  I remember when we moved to North Carolina and I went to open a checking account.  The year was 1978 and I was shocked to find that, since I was married, I could only open an account if my husband's name was on it too.  Of course there have been many societal changes since then and that's encouraging.
It's not unusual to see a group of students laughing and sharing ideas despite the fact that their accents are not the same and they are of varying colors and ethnicities.  They are not afraid to open their hearts and minds to change.  In fact they embrace it and I  am excited to see so many of them running in the 2018 mid term elections. I hope it will prove fruitful.




7 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

I hope enough people vote to change the status quo this time.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

How could he not know that this insensitive joke (which isn't funny) would be picked up by the media?

6:52 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Yes, I just heard this "joke" this morning by someone on a panel discussing the Kavanaugh debacle.
I hope the pain so many of us are experiencing in this country is a Growing Pain- and that we do, indeed, grow from all of the chaos and hypocrisy and embarrassment in today's news. Here in VA, in 2017, we elected 28 women to the Virginia House, 23 Democrats and five Republicans. Including the 10 women serving in the Senate, which did not have elections, the 38 women will make up 27 percent of Virginia’s legislators. This is a significant increase from the pre-election numbers, of 27 women, or 19 percent of the legislature, and the most women ever to serve in Virginia.
The country has new female governors and mayors, and people of color have been elected in many states.
I think the message is, it is time for the nasty old men who have been controlling the women in this country to get the heck out and make way for new blood, new ideas, while we still have a chance.

If you have not read FEAR by Bob Woodward, go get a copy and you will see why things MUST change before it gets worse!
(getting off my soapbox)

6:03 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I too have my faith in the youth who mostly are immune to color and differences. Hopefully all the killings have made them mad enough to vote.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Joared said...

We’re certainly experiencing a lot of tone deaf behavior, or maybe even deliberately tuning out or ignoring for other reasons. Let’s hope younger generations are more amenable adjusting some of those attitudes so destructive to male female relationships.

4:41 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

What a jerk!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Linda P. said...

I remember those days when I had to have my husband's name on the bank account. I refuse to be too dismayed, however. I'm prompted to engage again.

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home