Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Bye, bye FLORENCE ....


About 2 weeks before FLORENCE  hit I stained my deck.  It looked lovely but not so much on Sunday when I took this picture.  Not a pretty sight but so much better than it could have been.   The rain and wind started on Thursday  and then the power went out around midnight and came back on about noon the next day.   I was very lucky because I only lost it once again on Saturday for 2 hours.   People all around me were not as fortunate and one friend, just a town over, called today to say they had just regained everything.

Your good wishes must have carried weight and I thank you.   Here's a "before" picture of my little house built in 1902.  It's very sturdy having been built out of yellow pine that gets harder every year. When we first moved in the telephone guys actually broke 2 drill blades when they tried to cut through the wall to bring in their line.
 
As you see I am surrounded by trees so I was fortunate indeed not to have any of them fall on the house but at one point I thought my roof was being attacked and as a matter of fact it was...……..
 
The chimney that you see here took the brunt of the wind and the upper part was blown off.     The sounds that I heard were the bricks bombarding the roof and it was really the most frightening part of the whole ordeal.   So, I'm back on track and thanks again for all the good wishes and, hopefully I will be back to my regular blog routine in the next few day.                                                             
           

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Hopefully yo'll be done with hurricanes for awhile if not forever.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

It is good to know you came through the storm so well, Ginnie!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

Sounds like you were very fortunate. Will your repairs make the chimney look the same as before?

7:58 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Well you know I was worried silly! We were super prepared over here, and got less than 2/10s of an inch of rain altogether. Schools were cancelled all week and everything. We even cancelled my birthday party- and the governor was going to come, too! His b'day is 4 days before mine so we were going to have a combined celebration. So much for those plans!
Having had family go thru Agnes ('72) with water a foot from the ceiling, and roads collapsing as you drove over them (coal mines) I worried extra for you!
I am SOooooooooooooo glad you made out OK. A few bricks and you will be as good as new. how great is that!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Wow, that brick bombardment must have been scary for you had no idea what was happening. So happy that the damage was minimal and that you did mostly keep your power. Hope all is back to normal soon.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking precious time to let us know how you are. Have been concerned but feel better now. You are sooooooo lucky w/ all the trees around your home. We had winds of seventy mph several years ago living near the ocean during a storm. During the night we heard something falling from the roof and hitting the side of the house. Discovered it was the chimney cap the next morning. Scary to be sure having the bricks clunking down. At any rate, happy to hear all is well. Take care. Hugs.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Joared said...

Glad to know you are safe, dry, and have power. Sorry about the chimney -- must have been scary hearing that noise and wondering if the roof was coming off.

1:28 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I am a butnlate in reading this uodate, Ginnie, but glad tonread that you and your home were spared any heavy damages. It is so true that older homes were built better.

4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home