Thursday, May 11, 2017

57 years ago …. and an update this week !


Here I am in 1970. I lived in an area of the Northeast then where it was not unusual to have graveyards with stones dating back to the early seventeen hundreds. Gravestone rubbings were allowed then and it became a hobby with me.

I was always very careful to not damage the surface of the stones. I'd use a toothbrush to remove the moss and dirt that clung to the stone crevices and then placed paper (white newsprint) over the image, adhering it to the back of the stone with masking tape. Using a thick wax crayon I'd lightly stroke the paper until the design appeared and then carefully increase the pressure until I had the desired effect.

In 1970 I was so pleased with the effect that I mounted and framed them and sent them as my Christmas gifts that year. However, I was sad to realize that I must have misplaced my own copy in our many moves since then.

So, imagine my surprise and pleasure when I received a large UPS package this week and saw that it was the rubbing that I had sent to my sister Barbara 57 years ago. She passed away a few months back and her family has kindly sent back some of her possessions that pertain to me. I can't thank them enough.
 
… and here it is … 250 years young !


9 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

What a great way to preserve that old stone work design. So sorry for the loss of your sister, Ginnie.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a nice surprise for you.

4:32 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

So sorry about your sister but thoughtful of her family to return that to you. Wow, that was a very old tombstone and you managed to preserve it so nicely. Well done.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The saying what goes around comes around seems to apply here but in a good way. Your sister enjoyed your gift and has now re-gifted you. And, this gift is even more treasured because of her passing.

4:10 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Beautiful. Another lovely thing to bind you to your dear sister. I love those rubbings tying us to the past.

5:36 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Stone rubbings are not allowed anymore?
We had that as a project in some art class or another in college. Some of the kids came up with some really nice stuff.
One of my professors (and really good friend) used to send me rubbings she made as she travelled the globe. She used rice paper, light weight, didn't rip, rolled nicely to mail. I considered it a strange gift at first, but realized what a treasure it was - and how personal to have something made for you vs something from a souvenir shop. Unique gifts! Very meaningful.
Takes a special person to think of something like that! (Oh, like YOU!)

How great you did that and got it back! tho sorry for the loss of your sister...

6:07 AM  
Blogger damfine said...

I am so happy it reached another great place!
Love - Beaver (Barbara's son)

9:01 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Interesting. Our most early tombstones in southeastern Minnesota go back only to the 1850's....

7:02 PM  
Blogger Big John said...

You would have loved brass rubbing in some of our English churches. You can often shake hands with a crusader.

Sorry not to have commented lately, but your 'system' would not let me.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home