Sunday, October 02, 2016

..."his brother will be Alex ..."


I'm sure that most of you have seen this heart wrenching picture of Omran, the little 5 year old boy from Aleppo who was pulled from the rubble just minutes before the building where he lived collapsed…

...but have you seen this youngster?
This is Alex, a six-year-old from Scarsdale, New York who not only saw Omran's picture but was compelled to do something about it. He sat down and wrote a letter to President Obama pleading with him to bring Omran to the United States and even offered to give him a home with his family.
...his letter goes on to say:

Park in the driveway or on the street and we'll be waiting for you guys with flags flowers and balloons . We will give him a family and he will be our brother. Catherine, my little sister will be collecting butterflies and fireflies for him. 
In my school I have a friend from Syria, Omar, and I will introduce him to Omar and we can all play together. We can invite him to birthday parties and he will teach us another language. We can teach him English too just like we taught my friend Aoto from Japan.
Please tell him that his brother will be Alex who is a very kind boy just like him. Since he won't bring toys and doesn't have toys Catherine will share her big blue stripy white bunny and I will share my bike and I will teach him how to ride it. I will teach him additions and subtractions in math …
...I can't wait for you to come. Alex, 6 years old”

Not only did our President receive the letter but he included it in a speech at the Leaders' Summit on Refugees at the UN on 9/21. Wouldn't it be amazing if a 6 year olds words could actually bring some compassion and love to this world that we live in ?

 

5 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Let it be!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I totally love that Alex. His heart is an example for us all.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of the mouths of babes.

1:27 PM  
Blogger possum said...

I cried when I first read this back in Sept. What a wonderful old soul! I then shared it with just about everyone in my mail box, hoping to inspire a few hearts out there.
In the midst of all the hate and horror, Alex is a bright light shining to show us the way.
Thanks for sharing, Ginnie (another bright light!)

6:31 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Heartwarming indeed.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home