Sunday, May 17, 2015

Good Morning …

Doesn’t this look like a stuffed toy? Actually it’s a barred owl who came early in the morning to greet my daughter and her husband at their home in New York. According to them he wasn’t the least bit shy and could have cared less if they were snapping pictures. “If anything”, my daughter wrote, “I think there was some posing going on”.

The Barred Owl is a large typical owl native to North America and is best known as the Hoot Owl. My kids can certainly attest to that. As my son-in-law wrote, “on various occasions we will have a half dozen of them calling back and forth to each other with the most insane calls. Gurgling shrieks. This one no doubt was here looking for a chipmunk fat with stolen chicken food.”
They have no idea how long he would have kept vigil over their car but it was getting late and they needed to get going for the day so that was the end of the visit … for now. 

9 Comments:

Blogger ellen said...

Oh, he is beautiful. How amazing to have so many owls around.
Thanks for sharing the photos.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have only met up with an owl once, and I didn't have much of a camera with me.

5:32 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

What a treat! I loved it.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Oh, I would have loved such a visitor. They are lethal on voles.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a dumb bird. All those tree branches and he sits on the tip of a pole !

7:57 AM  
Blogger possum said...

What great shots! I love owls, having raised a couple of them.
Thanks for sharing!

7:34 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

We. have them here too. Amazing creatures...:)

7:59 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What an accomodating subject, and yes I did suspect at first that the owl might have been one of those plastic versions. Nice that it was the real deal!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

They are fascinating creatures. We hear them hooting here as well.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home