Wednesday, November 19, 2014

First weekend up North …

The first days of my three week vacation were spent with my niece Wendy. She lives in NY City but was going to a wedding in Manchester Vermont at that time so we hitched up and had a fun time together. She would have had to rent a car otherwise so, with my driving, it worked well for us both.

I declined to join her for the actual wedding (not knowing any of the participants) but I did join them for brunch Sunday morning.

After a sumptuous meal we headed over to East Dorset because I wanted to show Wendy the Bill Wilson house.
As many of you know he was the co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous and that is where he was born. It was originally an Inn and is now an historic site. We met with the caretaker and were interested to see that AA meetings are now held in what was originally the livery

That’s not a very good picture but those are license plates that you see on the rafters. A few years back I’d sent them one of mine and I was interested to see if they had it posted.

Sure enough … there it was, my old beat up North Carolina plate !  I have a newer version but it still spells out “Friend of BW” which is like a password to others in the program and I’ve met many AA friends because of it.
So, all in all, it was a fun weekend and a great beginning for the rest of my vacation.
 

7 Comments:

Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Somehow I assumed that he remained anonymous. What a lovely house and how neat that your licence plate is displayed.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Looks like a fine outing, Ginnie.

2:30 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Now how cool is that? Good for you!

4:08 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

You are part of history now. I love it.

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once upon a time, I was in San Antonio and I got on a bus with a bunch of guys from a rehab and asked if any of them knew BW (long story). They were not that sober because they all turned around and asked if BW was on the bus.

Nevertheless, I found the "open" meeting and had a good time.

I saw Lois in Montreal before she died.
I wish I could get David to travel to Vermont.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Great photos and information, Ginnie. I like your license plate a lot. And I am glad that Bill's home as well as Stepping Stones is preserved.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Nice that you and Wendy were able to connect and spend time together, Ginnie. And to revisit a place that has meant a lot to yiu was a special treat I'm sure.

4:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home