Thursday, March 13, 2014

Then … and now !

Remember this guy? It’s Pat Boone, the heartthrob of the ’70’s and every time I see him now in that ad for walk-in tubs it reminds me of the one and only time I saw him in person.

I was working at WABC Radio in New York City in 1957 and I recall how excited we (girls) were when we found out that he had been hired at the brand new ABC TV channel. It was a big step up for the 23 year old Pat, getting his very own weekly variety show, The Pat Boone Chevy Showroom.

Since I was on the radio side of ABC I can’t remember why I had been sent to the TV studio where Pat was working but it was in some official capacity I'm sure,… probably delivering a message to one of the writers. Anyway, I was there and so was Pat. He was ranting  about something that was not to his liking and then suddenly he turned his rage on me for interrupting his session. I managed a quick apology and left but, when I got back to my desk, I made sure to tell all the girls that he’d noticed me !

Now it’s 57 years later and we're both still going strong.

I have to admit that a walk-in tub is not for me… you have to walk in and sit down before you can fill the darn thing and then wait until it's completely drained to get out. However,I do give him credit for aging well and it looks like his tizzy fit is a thing of the past.

 

9 Comments:

Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks again for the trip down your memory lane, Ginnie. I was never a fan of Pat Boone Nd have not seen the ad you mentioned. One would only hope that he outgrow his rude behavior and changed his attitude with age.

4:13 AM  
Blogger Regenia said...

I am sorry to say that my husband and I are aware of rants he still goes on. Too bad people can't be as attractive personality wise as they are physically.

6:06 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

You have burst my bubble. I thought Pat Boone was all bubbles and rainbows, and not mad or having a tizzy!! Too bad you were the brunt of it, but nice to know he noticed you - however it happened. LOL

9:00 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Like Beatrice, I never cared much for Pat Boone. I heard a trivia question the other week about his refusal to kiss Shirley Jones in a movie because she was a married woman.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Goodness that is disturbing to hear the man with such a wholesome persona was and according to Regenia, is still a bit of a diva.
I hadn't thought about the fact that you would have to wait for the tub to drain but it makes sense. Think I'll pass also.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It seems as though his public persona is a sham. I hate that sort of hypocrisy.

6:03 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Well I'll be darned. So he isn't the All American boy he portrayed. And to think in my deluded youth I favored him over Elvis....:) Oh and we priced a walk in once for our new house and passed because the price was exorbitant.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I didn't like him. Uncalled for that he raged at you. But you sure have met some interesting people.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved Pat Boone. While most of my classmates swooned over Elvis, my favorite was Pat Boone. Thanks for the memories.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home