Saturday, February 01, 2014

Pride goeth before…..

My daughter and her husband gave me this lovely 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle (Monet's Garden at Giverny) at Christmas time. As most of you know I love doing them and I started it soon after the Holiday was over.

Assembling the four edges was fairly easy but I found that the monochromatic coloration and the small puzzle pieces made the rest of it near impossible for me. My daughter and hubby pitched in and I saw that they had none of the same limitations. I had to finally admit to myself, and to them, that old age was taking a toll on my eyes, not to mention my concentration and patience !

About a week later they presented me with the puzzle that is pictured here and I think I made some sort of derogatory remark such as “I’m not in kindergarten, you know”


… only to find out that a good friend of theirs, a 90 year old retired judge, had given them this puzzle to pass on to me. I was embarrassed because I know the judge to be a brilliant man who has led a distinguished career and I figured if he enjoys the large piece puzzles who am I to turn up my nose at them.
I swallowed my pride and gave them a meek “thank you” … and, guess what? I found out that the puzzle was fun to assemble, the picture was lovely and I didn‘t have a headache when it was all put together !

 

7 Comments:

Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Never had the patience to work on jigsaw puzzles, but one that is easier to handle seems like a good idea to me. I would never have the patience (or eyesight) to handle one with 1,000 teeny, tiny pieces, Ginnie.

4:27 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Great gift for National Puzzle Day. A church near us has a Puzzlefest every year. They have two different 6,000-piece puzzles and everyone in the community is invited to drop by to work on them from noon until 6 pm. I've never been but everyone says it's a lot of fun.

My aunt credits puzzles with helping her regain use of her arm after a stroke. She would work jigsaw puzzles using only the impaired hand, with her "good" arm in her lap.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

I used to be able to do Whitman's 304-piece Guild jigsaw puzzles in less than two hours. I had always given myself puzzles at Christmas, when my children were young. Within the last few years, however, I quit doing puzzles because it took too much effort. It didn't stop my daughter from giving me Christmas puzzles, more and more difficult each year. I finally told her I could no longer do puzzles in a reasonable amount of time, that they frustrated me. She forgot by the following Christmas and gave me an even more difficult 3-D puzzle. I never bothered to open it. 'Tain't easy to get old!

12:19 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Well ... whatever it takes. It's the same process whether it's 200 bigger pieces or 1000 smaller ones. So keep on keeping on, I say.

5:32 AM  
Blogger possum said...

I haven't done jigsaw puzzles in years... I no longer have the time. Puzzles were for rainy days in the Poconos. How I miss those lazy days!

6:08 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

"When the student is ready, the teacher appears."

I had to give up on a puzzle about 4 years ago for the same reasons you gave. I sold it at a garage sale, and now I wish I had it back....lol

I want to do puzzles again, and now that I don't have a cat it would be easy - but I can't decided where to set up a table for them. I guess if that is my only problem, I shouldn't complain...lol

6:42 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I remember we used to do puzzles during Christmas break years ago. I don't know why we don't do them anymore. Maybe because of being on the computer so much!

4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home