Sunday, December 29, 2013

HAPPY NEW YEAR … it’s EGGS BENEDICT time

My husband and I married in August of 1958. We looked forward to our first New Year’s eve together but Dick developed some very badly infected sores on his feet and he spent the night in bed with his legs elevated. He felt bad about this and promised that he would make it up to me in the coming years.

New Years eve of 1959 we chose to stay home again, but Dick surprised me by starting a tradition that we kept up for quite a few years. We decided to do our celebrating on the 1st of each year instead of on the evening before and HE WOULD DO THE COOKING !

I was quite touched by this because the kitchen was definitely not his place to shine. He took it as a challenge and, after much deliberation, decided that we would have a noon-time brunch and would include new acquaintances that we had met during the year. We were living in New York City and would often meet people who were new to the area or just passing through. This was a good “ice-breaker” for them & they were happy to be included.

It was an eclectic mix of people so the conversation was lively and we hardly thought about eating. Then Dick announced that he would have brunch ready in 20 minutes and he and a friend retired to the kitchen with the door shut.

The next time they appeared they were carrying two large trays laden with hot rolls, butter and a large bowl of fruit compote. We were told to start in and find a place to sit...that they would bring the rest of the brunch to us individually. I was completely blown away when they did. Each plate that they served contained two perfectly cooked Eggs Benedict and 4 sprigs of asparagus. It was an elegant brunch and I couldn’t have done better.

This was the only cooking that Dick ever did, unless it was an emergency, but it was enough for me. I loved the fact that it was completely his idea and, despite the arrival of new children and new friends, he kept it up for years. It was a wonderful way to welcome in a New Year!

12 Comments:

Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

What a delightful treat. A lot of men who don't cook still have a specialty that they love to bring out to impress. His was a real winner and what a lovely tradition.

4:49 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a great tradition, and it seems he did his only dish very well indeed. Happy New Year.

5:08 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a wonderful memory shared, Ginnie, and no better way to start a new year than sharing with friends, new and old. Just wondering what day in August was your wedding date; ours is August 21, and it would be ironical if yours was the same date.

5:49 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Wonderful story, Ginnie. Happy New Year!

7:43 AM  
Blogger Grace-WorkinProgress said...

What a nice memory to share with us. Happy New Year.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Eggs Benedict, but don't eat them often. My sons are both good cooks. Men can cook it seems.
What a nice tradition you had with your husband. Dianne

12:51 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Any man who can make eggs Benedict has my vote!! It is one of my top five things to eat!!

Thanks for the visit and nice comment. I am kicking 2013 out the door with no regrets and 2014 can only be better!! Happy New Year, Ginnie!

3:54 PM  
Blogger possum said...

What a great story! But I'll take mine scrambled, if you don't mind...

6:02 AM  
Blogger Tessa~ Here there be musing said...

Precious memory...

Happy 2014 to you!

Tessa~
(Clocking in at 76 and 3/4...)

1:48 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Aww--I love this. What a wonderful story. And a great memory.
HAPPY NEW YEAR.
(By the way, thanks for your nudge--I finally finished my Mess We're In series).

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently had 'Eggs Benedict' with smoked salmon instead of bacon. Luvverly !

6:35 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

That looks delicious! You are making me hungry.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home