Monday, March 03, 2014

Lisa and Glen in Ningbo …

As most of you know my good friend Lisa and her husband are spending a year in China where they are both teaching 10th graders. I love getting her letters and photos and like sharing them with you.

Recently they were treated to a lovely day in the Old Town in Ningbo by one of their students, Terrence, and his sister and her husband.


They stopped for lunch where they could watch the vendor cooking and in the next picture you see them all enjoying their meal. I am impressed to see that Glen has picked up the art of using chop sticks. (Perhaps he’d starve if he waited for a fork !)

I had never heard of Ningbo and when I did a little research I found that it is actually one of China’s oldest cities with a history dating back to the Memuda culture in 4800 BC. It was also a trade city on the exotic silk route at least two thousand years ago. It makes me realize how very “young” we are as a country here in the United States.
Lisa and Glen are certainly getting an “on hands” view of China and I love being there too …albeit vicariously.

8 Comments:

Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, not only yourself, bit also all of us reading your blog posts are sharing in this adventure and learning of other places and cultures.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

There are some advantages to being an armchair traveller.

4:57 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

What a lovely way to see another country ---through another's eyes. How lovely they are taking you and us along.
I bought chopsticks in an effort to slow down my eating but finally gave up. That takes a bit of practice to get it right.

6:36 AM  
Blogger possum said...

That is the only true way to learn about another culture - live there among the people... learn the language as much as possible. Few Americans are bothered to live truly among the native population clinging to American ways as much as possible. It is great your friends are really seeing the place AND the people.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love residing about Central Asia. Just finished a great book...Silk Road, by Valerie Hansen (an archeologist). You might enjoy it. Dianne

1:38 PM  
Blogger Grace-WorkinProgress said...

Thanks for the history lesson.

6:55 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Visiting China is on my bucket list...:)

1:17 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Their trip sounds fantastic. I would like to visit China some day.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home