Friday, February 21, 2014

Seniors blogging …

Back in 2006 my interest was piqued when I read an article in the AARP magazine stating that few seniors took advantage of blogging as a line of communication. That piqued my curiosity and I decided to try it.

I was 73 when I launched Goldendaze-ginnie and I posted a blog entry almost daily from July to December of that year. Basically these were vignettes of my long life that I thought would be of interest to my children. I then printed them in book form and gave one to each as a Christmas gift.

I had originally planned to stop blogging at that time but getting to know so many of you through your blogs had opened up a new world to me and there was no way that I wanted to let that go. It’s turned out to be one of the best decisions I’ve ever made!

I’ve never wanted to sit back and watch the world go by (as some in my age group do) and the blogosphere has certainly saved me from that. I love the fact that I have blogger friends all over the United States and as far flung as Australia, India, Canada, Sri Lanka, England and beyond.

Now I post a new blog entry every 5th day. I like this time schedule because it gives me a commitment that keeps me on my toes and I need that. I was amazed when I last looked at my stats to see that I’ve accumulated 85,475 page views in 8 years ! 6,389 of these were actual comments and that is extremely humbling.

So to all of you in my extended family …(whether you leave a comment on my blog or just check in once in awhile)… I want to say “Thank you”. My life is so much richer by having you in it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

17 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

Ginnie, I've decided it's okay for us elderly folks to "lose it" occasionally, as you wrote in a comment on my blog. When you said Leaving Home, I thought of the book Leaving Church. Does that mean I'm losing it, too? Probably.

I shared Leaving Home last Friday, but haven't yet read it.

http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2014/02/beginning-with-fur-coat.html

I shared Leaving Church back in 2007, except I'll "forgive" myself because I went to hear the author speak in Atlanta only a few months ago.

http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2007/06/leaving-church-memoir-of-faith_26.html

2:34 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Well, thanks for staying with it!! I feel exactly as you do about my blog friends, and I am proud to call you one of them - and one I have met in person!

3:05 PM  
Blogger misguidedgypsy said...

Thank you Ginnie! I rarely comment but often enjoy your thoughtful posts.

8:13 PM  
Blogger mommaslice said...

Thank -you Ginnie for your postings!I love your "stories"peace Lisa

4:13 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You give us all light and hope, Ginny.

4:40 AM  
Blogger gemma said...

Great job. A blog is a wonderful thing and yours is the reason why.

5:40 AM  
Blogger gemma said...

A blog is a wonderful thing and yours is a prime example. Keep up the good work.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Right back at ya lady. How else could we meet such a world wide, varied group of people. What a blessing blogging is.

5:42 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I so agree. Life is made richer by fellow bloggers we meet Online.

10:27 AM  
Blogger WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

Good luck to you and your blogging.

Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Ginnie. It's been wonderful getting to know you. I am sad when a blogger goes away. You never know what's going on with them if they disappear. Dianne

2:45 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Indeed and what fun it is for all the same reasons. Plus I discovered something I somehow wasn't even aware of.... I love to write. ;)

4:28 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Yep! And how else would we have met? You have been a good friend and someone I have been able to turn to for advice. It has been a delight to read your blog, talk to you on the phone, and the visit was great!
Thank you for being here!

4:36 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, add my thanks as well for creating your blog and I too am so glad to have "met" you and then to learn that you also spent early years in my NJ hometown! There are no strangers, as Pat always reminds me, just friends we haven't met yet. That is certainly true in the blogging world and we have been fortunate to even meet some of these nice folks, face-to-face. Maybe one day we will meet you as well...would be wonderful!

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started blogging in 2004 when it was so rare to find old codgers on-line that I was interviewed by a journalist from the major British newspaper 'The Guardian' and they published a full page article all about me.
Since then it has been so enjoyable to 'meet' such lovely people such as yourself. Keep it up, you not so old gal.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I've been reading you a long time, Ginnie. And I feel like you are a friend. You have been so supportive for so many years. You'll be happy to know that Judy is starting college in the fall. Thank you for your generosity.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Rian said...

Love your chicken pics... and the Easter eggs! And understand your addiction to blogging too. I have been *jounaling* my whole life, then online journaling, then blogging. It's great... and psychologically healthy (IMO).

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home