Sunday, March 23, 2014

My “Aussie” connection …


Here is my blogger friend Cazzie from Australia. I loved getting to know her via her blog “I don’t do mornings” . ( I assume she chose that title because she was an intensive care nurse working nights.) She is also the wife of a goat farmer and mother of four.

In October of 2012 Cazzie wrote that there was turmoil in her life and that the family was being uprooted and they were not looking forward to the move. I felt bad for them but felt even worse when I kept checking back and then realized that she wasn’t writing her blog anymore.

I kept wondering how they were but figured I’d never know. Then the strangest thing happened. At some point I started a Facebook account but I never use it. However I am constantly getting emails from Facebook telling me that I have messages, requests etc. and, lo and behold one of them had a very pretty picture of a lady called Carolyn. Could that possibly be my Cazzie, I wondered … and it was !


I couldn’t wait to get in touch and see how she and the family (including the goats) were doing. She wrote back almost immediately and here is part of her answer: "Things are great. I am waiting to see if I am awarded a grant that I applied for last month in order to study a Graduate Certificate in Breast Cancer Nursing. I can then work as a Breast care nurse for women and men affected by breast cancer. We run a 1000 acre farm (in three allotments) in Little River. Slowly bringing back what has been weed infested land to its natural form. Use of goats and time consuming weed reduction is assisting with that.”

Isn’t that interesting? I’ve often wondered why they don’t use goats for weed reduction of all the Kudzu that takes over buildings and smothers trees here in the Southeast every spring. It keeps getting worse with every year and maybe this will inspire Cazzie (oops, Carolyn) and her husband to write a paper or a book with their results. It could be a bestseller.

My blogs are not usually this long but I couldn’t end without including the last of what Cazzie-Carolyn wrote to me …because it’s how I always felt when I read hers: “I love reading your blog, it always makes me smile xxoo"


7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

How nice to be able to connect using a different medium.

3:52 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Interesting story and I'll echo the sentiment....:)

9:18 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

That is the absolute beauty of blogging. Meeting and getting to know people we would never in a million years normally meet. How nice she found you again. That is the worst part of blogging, when someone just quits posting and you don't know what has happened.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While I do not use Facebook and have no plans to do so, it was nice that you were able to re-connect with a long-lost blogger friend, Ginnie. Glad you are back in touch and thanks for sharing your and her story.

6:22 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Back when I started blogging there were a number of blogs I followed, folks whose lives became interesting to me... Over time, they just disappeared from the blogosphere. I have wondered what happened to them. Some do show up on FB, but it is not the same.
Glad you found Cazzie.

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cassie does great work. May we never require her services,or those of one of her US fellows.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

How cool and great idea about the kudzu. You have reached a lot of people through your blog.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home