Sunday, December 23, 2012

My favorite Santa …


This bright red Santa is made of papier-mâché and measures 14 inches high. He is at least 85 years old and was originally a lamp base.

As a child I remember that lamp. It had a colorful glass shade that rotated when activated by the bulbs heat. My sisters and I would sit in front of it, mesmerized as we watched a variety of winter scenes come into view and then slowly pass by with each turn.

I’m not sure how old I was when that lamp toppled over or what caused it … but, topple it did and the lampshade shattered to bits. My four older sisters and I were devastated but my mother took it in stride. The next day she took the lamp parts out, worked her own papier-mâché magic and patched the hole in his head. Voila! … he became the Santa that you see here.

I love the expression on his face. Despite all the love that I‘ve lavished on him over the years he seems to have never recovered from that ill-fated fall more than 75 years ago when he lost his “innards” and fancy headgear.




6 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

I can only imagine how he would look with that rotating lamp shade. Merry Christmas to you Ginnie. Hope that you have a wonderful day of peace and love.

9:05 PM  
Blogger possum said...

How great to have a treasure and such a wonderful memory. Too bad you all lost the shade. That would be fun to see!

Hope you are having a wonderful day. How lucky you are to have your family together.

7:49 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Merry Christmas Ginnie from sunny Arizona. We're visiting the grands and will be returning to frozen Minnesota in time for New Years...

9:40 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The memories produced by this Santa are always with yiu, Ginnie, and that is the magic that of Christmas. Thanks for sharing your life through your posts and may we all continue in the new year...best wishes for a wonderful 2013.

3:57 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Love the Santa. I was always intrigued by those lampshades that moved with the heat. Still am.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely holiday memory. I too associate Santa with my Mother, although it takes the form of plastic tree ornaments she bought from Montgomery Ward. Dianne

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home