Sunday, November 18, 2012

Who needs a trip to New England …


…to view the Fall scenery? All I had to do was open my front door!

Our Fall has not been particularly outstanding this year and I was wondering where all the color was. A few of my friends went to the Western part of our State and they reported that it was as glorious as ever there, but not here.

It never fails to amaze me how I can get so accustomed to my surroundings that I hardly see them and that’s exactly what happened to me a week ago Tuesday. As I drove into my driveway I noticed how many leaves were on my front porch and I figured I’d use the leaf blower to clean it up after I put up the groceries

About 15 minutes later I opened my front door to do just that and was almost bowled over by the glorious sight that you see in the picture. It is the tree in my neighbors yard directly across the street from me. The light of the sun seemed to touch every leaf and the tree was aglow with color.

I must have caught it at just the right time because by the next day it had already lost its luster. It was becoming, once again, the “ordinary” tree that’s been there for years and that I‘ve hardly ever noticed.

It makes me wonder how many other “miracles” I’ve missed !

10 Comments:

Blogger joared said...

Gorgeous! Such a rich red. Reminds me of a Mich. Oct. visit a few years ago -- gazing out window to golden yellow trees across the street -- all in mesmerizing full glory. Rained a couple nights later taking many of the leaves to the ground.

6:48 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Ah the familiarity breeds contempt syndrome. I know all about it and work very hard to avoid it. Though we have taken a leaf tours to New England and The Ozarks...:)

3:00 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Sometimes it's right outside your door.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's difficult to really see the things that we sort of see every day.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Caddie said...

Ah, the miracles of nature move by fleetingly fast. I blink once, twice, then find each one has arrived at the door of my past. Life's main rule: Catch it while you can.

4:55 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

All life is ephemeral it seems. I have learned to carry my camera as the best shots are fleeting.

I suspect your neighbor's tree is a red maple, although in NC it could be a Gum tree. Dianne

9:39 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The best thing, Ginnie, is that you did not miss this beauty so close by and that you did capture it to share. I agree with AC's comment that sometimes we fail to see what we see.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

To answer your titles question, I do! I would love a trip to New England. I have such fond memories of my years spent there. Also, I love the architecture and landscapes of the many towns and hamlets of the mountains and by the sea. A visit would refresh my spirit.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

It has been a beautiful fall here. The maples and gums have been wonderful. Looking for miracles every day here.

4:47 AM  
Blogger possum said...

OH, WOW! How beautiful! We don't have many eye grabbing trees here, either - not like New England or the Poconos - but the few we have are all the more special because of it - just like your tree!
Thanks for sharing.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home