Wednesday, December 19, 2012

EASTER-EGGERS arrive in time for CHRISTMAS …



Some of you loyal followers may remember these two. They are my daughter and son-in-laws “ladies” … the chickens that I mistakenly thought were Black Cochins.

I’d put a chicken coop on the back of my house 2 years ago so it was ready and waiting for them when my kids passed through on their way to a reunion in Ft. Lauderdale. They left them in my care until they returned a week later… all of them, including the two dogs, now here in time for Christmas.

And here is a picture of their produce …the “easter eggs.


  It was actually the eggs that proved these two were not pure bred Cochins. As Wikipedia explains it: “An Easter Egger is any chicken that possesses the "blue egg" gene, but doesn't fully meet any breed description.” Well, they may not be pure but they sure are prolific … and once the shell is removed you can’t tell one egg from another.

Kind of how I feel about man-kind. A bunch of mixed breeds but pretty much the same deep down when you clear away the skin colors.




8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Ah Ginny, what a superb analogy.

4:17 PM  
Blogger izzy said...

Love this info! thanks for sharing!

5:45 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

AMEN. I have a book that my college sociology teacher gave me, titled "Brothers Under the Skin".

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely right on both counts. Love the chickens. Dianne

11:51 AM  
Blogger ellen said...

Hello to you, dear Ginnie.
Those eggs are beautiful..as is your analogy.
Wishing you a lovely Christmas, a healthy and peaceful New Year. May all goodness come to you dear friend.

3:10 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Once again I am reminded how lucky your kids are to have you!

And how lucky I am to have you as a friend!

Happy Solstice!

(and Happy End of the World Day - oops, its not over yet...)

7:07 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Enjoyed the analogy and seeing the eggs, Ginnie, and notices that none of them were cracked, but then that would be another story altogether. Hope you Christmas is full of simple delights and memories to last into the New Year.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Good thoughts, Ginnie. Love those eggs and the fact that we are pretty much all the same resulting from an egg and sperm collision. Reminds me somewhat of Thaddeus Stevens and his speech on equality in the movie Lincoln.

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home