Thursday, November 22, 2012

HOLIDAY GIFT SUGGESTION






 

The best $25 I ever invested !

KIVA is the ultimate in micro-financing and I can’t recommend it strongly enough. In 2009 I chose my first entrepreneur…
                                           
… A loan of $300 helped Saroeun and her husband from Cambodia purchase materials for weaving and growing rice. Twelve of us loaned $25 each and their request was met ! As simple as that transaction was for me it was far from simple for them. It was the helping hand that the regular banking institutions would not consider. But KIVA did and it completely changed their life

As soon as they re-paid the loan I had the option of getting my money back or reinvesting. Of course I chose the latter and I’m thrilled to say that, as of last night, I now have a total of 40 successful loan transactions… forty individuals who have been given a hand up ... not a handout !

I’ve written about KIVA before but I thought I would bring it up again during this holiday season as a reminder that it makes a great gift !!

To show how far reaching it can be, here is a list of the countries where I’ve made loans:

                 Sierra Leone…Iraq…Vietnam…Kenya…Ecuador…Lebanon…Tanzania
                 Senegal…Azebaijan…Cambodia…Nigeria…Nicaragua…Rwanda…Togo
                 Georgia…Samoa…Mexico…Paraguay…Mali…Peru…Mongolia…Bolivia
                 Phillipines…Honduras…El Salvador…Colombia…Guatemala…Uganda
                 Congo…Indonesia…Ukraine…Ghana
















8 Comments:

Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I too support Kiva and gave each of my grandchildren a sum of money to invest in this worthwhile effort.

You have done a great deal. I trust you learned a little about the people and counties they live in. This is a bonus for your sharing.

7:51 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I remember when you posted about this before, Ginnie, it is so good to know that you are pleased with the results!! Happy Thanksgiving!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I guessed the content when I saw the title. :)

It's a long story how I lost my KIVA $. I should get back on. I keep meaning to.

11:45 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

I agree--this is gift giving that really can change a life.
My son-in-law introducted me to Kiva several years ago, and I have continued to reinvest my money every time someone pays off a loan.
The requests are so modest, and truly humbling.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for this post, Ginnie. I may have heard of Kiva before, but your post was a good first-hand account and I plan to check for more info online.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I have re-invested also. It is a great cause. Thanks, Ginnie, for introducing me to Kiva a couple of years ago.

4:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea Ginnie. I've provided the hand up in the past via other groups. Dianne

10:59 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Fascinating. I need to get my head out of the sand... Though we have supported two adoptions from Africa *Ethiopia and Rwanda...

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home